Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to bettyford
Re: Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain Review

Thanks Steve
I have been tring to decide on BFG or Toyo and you sold me, I just ordered the Toyo 285/75/16 MT 5min. ago thanks for doing the research.

Ron

I will be posting pictures tonight of the Homebuild day 1. (body work)

Old 02-08-2010, 03:21 PM   #12

Quote:
While there was no pulling as some had described
I think the pulling I have experienced was a combination of alignment and more aggressive tread pattern. With the "neutral" tread pattern (for lack of better way to describe it), the out of alignment problem I had wasn't translating into a pull. Unfortunately, I didn't decide to look into alignment until I was noticing uneven wear on the Toyo's. Now I have one tire in particular with a noticeable amount of additional wear over the other three.

I have loved how the Toyos have performed off-road, but I think I'm going to try the Goodyear Duratrac next. I'm interested to hear any reviews on those. I know someone around here put a set on a while ago.

Only real negative I have about the Toyo M/T's is that I have several chunks of rubber missing from the tread after a few particularly challenging 4-wheeling trips. Of course a lesser tire may have left me fixing a flat or two.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by saline
Hmm....where's the trip report and photos? I need to see that desert, ours is covered in snow.
Saline: I am working on it. Just waiting for some photos from my buddies. I will post up soon, so you can all laugh of my getting stuck with my brand new tires and two winches and a Hi-lift in action. No fault of the tires though.

Quote:
Thanks Steve
I have been tring to decide on BFG or Toyo and you sold me, I just ordered the Toyo 285/75/16 MT 5min. ago thanks for doing the research.

Ron
Ron: I think you will be happy with your purchase. I spent quite a bit of time on it and asked a lot of members here and elsewhere. Keep us posted on your project.

Jessenj: Not sure I found the Max Cold on a website either. I can look on my tire if you want.

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellularSTEVE
By tread-walk do you mean pulling one way or the other, i.e. hard to keep in the lane on the highway?

steve
No, no pulling or wander. In really hard cornering, I could feel a high slip angle in the rear. In other words, the rear end would kick out a little more than usual. It would never break free, but you could feel it tracking outside of the front wheels. Feels kind of like a mild drift but without the tire squeal. It had to be pushed hard to do this, and towing a small (6000 pound) trailer wasn't a problem. Just wasn't quite the feeling I like, in case of evasive maneuvering when towing heavy. Once I had to swerve hard onto the shoulder then back onto pavement at 75 towing the 41-footer on a downgrade in Utah (herd of elk). With the MTs, I'm not sure maintaining control in a situation like that would be easy. Under normal driving, they would handle fine, but I like to make sure the van will handle predictably in any adverse situation.
Got it carringb. Thanks for clarifying. I can see the importance of that especially while towing a big load. I hope I don't have to confront what you did. Did have to swerve for a deer in Montana. Scary as you know what. The BFG's handled OK.

steve
Old 02-08-2010, 07:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpvi
Quote:
While there was no pulling as some had described
Only real negative I have about the Toyo M/T's is that I have several chunks of rubber missing from the tread after a few particularly challenging 4-wheeling trips. Of course a lesser tire may have left me fixing a flat or two.

Phil
Phil, I will keep an eye on this and report back. On my BFG M/T KM's on my Jeep I got alot of chunks removed on some very tough dry waterfalls in Panamint Valley. I would expect similar from the Toyo's especially since they are reportedly softer compound then most tires. Also keep us posted on the Goodyears you are going to try.

steve
Old 02-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #16

Steve,

Thanks for the offer. However, if the BFG website is any indication, the max cold psi is not tied to the "E" rating. Some of theirs are 50 psi. Some are 80 psi. Since my van is an '09, by default my tires will be on 17's vice 16's. So, can't count on yours as a plan for mine.

Eric
Old 02-09-2010, 04:03 PM   #17

Thank you Steve for the review
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:41 AM   #18

You're welcome. I will update this post as I put more miles on the tires.

One thing I did notice and Jage asked me about is that when decelerating, i.e. coming up on a stoplight going from 10mph down to a stop, you do feel a little "rumble" from the tires. Not noisy, just a feel.

steve
Old 02-13-2010, 10:18 AM   #19

Steve ,
I changed out the BFG's to the Toyo's and have the same low speed Growl , this is nothing to concern yourself with as the more aggressive tread is the cause . I have found this to be the case with all brands of tires when coming to a stop on this more pronounced tread pattern . I really like this tire better than any I previously used on any of our 4X4 Van's and if rotated with frequency you should get good wear out of them .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:53 PM   #20

Greggde,
The rumble doesn't bother me (just somewhat noticeable). Glad you like the tires too.

Compared to my BFG M/T KM's this rumble is nothing. Those older BFG's are so noisy that with the windows down you can't hear your passenger--which can sometimes be nice depending on who your passenger is .

steve