Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2018, 09:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAR View Post
MS,

While I appreciate the info posted by the OP, and will keep that in mind, I would not rule out the Toyo tires because of one random review on this forum. There are many factors that can lead to tire failure, and until we know more, I’m still relying on the Toyo for all my off-road vehicle use.

Gar
This^.

The BFG All-terrain used to be my tire of choice until I started having multiple rock breaks through the tread area while driving dirt roads. Because all the mines in the area equip their trucks with the Toyo Open Country MT tires and have good luck with them, I went that route also. No rock breaks yet, not one! Because we have a local tire dealer (Les Schwab) who really takes care of their customers, it looks like 75% of the trucks around here run Toyo tires. Most the ATII, some the MT. Guys that have them love them...except for the price.

I suspect the OP got a bad batch of tires somehow.

Old 08-20-2018, 02:05 PM   #12

My BFGs were pre KO: Rugged Terrain T/A

In all fairness, even with the various BFGs, it's likely a couple isolated batches that had issues, or even some issue where a tolerance stacked up poorly in a small number of tires.

There are however two aspects to this that are really scary: (1) Generally when folks have an issue, they will have an issue with more than one tire close to the same time. (2) Blowing a tire on one of these vans, at speed, has a lot of potential for very real danger.

I wonder if a TPMS would give any indication for impeding separation. One that tracks temperature (and I think all the current-ish ones do), might.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:35 PM   #13

I had a BFG AT KO fail on me at highway speed. Not pleasant but I was very glad it was on the rear. I replace all 5 despite having only 9,000 miles on the set. I now have KO2's on with no issues yet. Some pictures of mine here:

https://roberttilley.smugmug.com/BF-...in-TA-Failure/
Old 08-20-2018, 03:10 PM   #14

I've had a set of KO2s on mine for 40K now and have been really pleased. Only recently started to get a bit of a drone. The wet and snow traction has been good and they seem to be wearing reasonably well. I may change before the winter hits because its nice to have fresh tires around these parts heading into the 9 month wet season but I could probably get another 20K out of them. I carry around 10K lbs in mine with some regularity for what its worth, but only on road.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 03:15 PM   #15

I've had 2 sets of Open Country AT II's with zero issues and exceptional wear.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:09 PM   #16

Garage
Not to dismiss the potential safety issues associated with any tire dilemma (especially in a heavy van, raised or not), I believe Toyo's have a great product. No doubt i would have a different view point if I had your experience... But I've been running them for close to 20 years (on several different vehicles) and never once had an issue - my only complaint would be in my experience the Toyo M/T's dont air down well - sidewalls are pretty stubborn (even in my current situation with a van that weights in at 11,500lbs)
Sure hope you find confidence in your next selection, if for nothing else at least peace of mind.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:08 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage
I've been running Toyo E rated for the last 3 changes. No issues except they seem to wear fast. FWIW I ran BFG's w/o any issues as well. My van weighs in almost 12K when fully loaded.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:40 AM   #18

Interesting info on the Toyos. I was seriously considering Toyos because there is an army of them in use including some of the custom builders. But in the end I went with the new General Grabber X3s. They look killer and ride decent, my only complaint so far they're a little noisy between 30-40 mph and quiet down at cruising speed. Time will tell, have two long trips coming up.
Sloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:50 AM   #19

I am replacing all of my Toyo's with Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT's designed for heavy loads. Keep in mind that my first set of Toyo's were fine tires. I had them on for about two years before changing from a 16" wheel to a 17" wheel. I put the same Toyo tires on my 17" wheels and have had nothing but problems with the tires. Four tires separated with all under 25K miles and one just failed that was only three months old!
twotimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
I am replacing all of my Toyo's with Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT's designed for heavy loads. Keep in mind that my first set of Toyo's were fine tires. I had them on for about two years before changing from a 16" wheel to a 17" wheel. I put the same Toyo tires on my 17" wheels and have had nothing but problems with the tires. Four tires separated with all under 25K miles and one just failed that was only three months old!
I think the Coopers are a great tire. I've been running the S/T Maxx on my van and have over 30K miles on them and they're still going strong with lots of remaining life.