Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2018, 04:06 PM   #1

Toyo Tires

This is a warning to anyone considering Toyo Open Country AT II 285/70/17 tires on their SMB. I purchased a set in 2016 and since then I have had three tires separate. These are a load class E tire and should be more than capable of carrying the weight of a fully loaded SMB, but I have had nothing but problems. The distributor refuses to compensate me for tires that have less than 20K miles on them and I just had to change out two tires this past weekend during a trip from South Florida to SC. And, one of the tires was only two months old. I am taking my van back to the tire dealer tomorrow and having all the tires removed and a solid name brand tire (e.g. Michelin, etc.) highway tires installed. No more off-road, mud & snow or all terrain tires proclaiming to be an excellent tire for on or off road for me!! This has been a very expensive mistake for me, so don't make the same mistake!!!

twotimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:27 PM   #2

thank you very much as they were under consideration. the open country m/t has fans but it seemed like overkill to go 500 miles on pavement to 25 miles of USFS/BLM dirt. the AT seemed a possibility. sorry for your experience but appreciate the heads up.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:00 PM   #3
GAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
This is a warning to anyone considering Toyo Open Country AT II 285/70/17 tires on their SMB. I purchased a set in 2016 and since then I have had three tires separate. These are a load class E tire and should be more than capable of carrying the weight of a fully loaded SMB, but I have had nothing but problems. The distributor refuses to compensate me for tires that have less than 20K miles on them and I just had to change out two tires this past weekend during a trip from South Florida to SC. And, one of the tires was only two months old. I am taking my van back to the tire dealer tomorrow and having all the tires removed and a solid name brand tire (e.g. Michelin, etc.) highway tires installed. No more off-road, mud & snow or all terrain tires proclaiming to be an excellent tire for on or off road for me!! This has been a very expensive mistake for me, so don't make the same mistake!!!
That is an unfortunate experience for sure! The last two sets of Toyo tires on the Jeep have been great, long life, and low noise, not to metion great off road traction.

I have a set of Toyo tires on the van now (currently scaled at: 7300 lbs). 5k miles so far (just rotated them). I wonder if the tires you received sat on the shelf for several years before you purchased them. I had to reject one of my tires as it was already two years old; I told the dealer, “I’m paying for new tires, so all five had better be new (less than six month old), they agreed and swapped it out for me.

Tires as old as five years, with no use, are not safe. Just sitting on a shelf can cause the tire to break down. You can check the date of manufacture of the tire before you purchase. Also, what air pressure did you run your tires at?

Gar

How to check the manufacture date on a tire:
https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/...-of-your-tires

My tires:
M/T LT295/70R17 (33.5”)
Load range E M+S
Max load: 3970 @80 psi
Made in USA!
GAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:21 PM   #4

Sigh. Those were touted as the go-to when I had two BFG ATs fail.

My remaining BFGs aren't that far from done in terms of tread wear, and I was contemplating getting 4 of the Toyos and using the Goodyears I got to replace the BFGs on the spares.

FWIW, I got the same run-around when I handed my blistered BFG to my dealer after the other one separated. While my Goodyears are doing OK so far, that company has some serious skeletons trying to get out of the closet (search for G159 tire). FWIW, while I don't love the traction on the goodyears, especially in snow, they do seem durable so far.

Why doesn't anyone make an LT AT tire that doesn't randomly fail? I suppose Michelin had some issue as well, but issued a recall, which is more than we can say for some of the others.

The Michelin LTX/AT is a bit more road than off-road focused though. The other really big European brand is Continental whp also makes a similar AT tire that reviews quite well actually. Both it and the Michelin are made in the US in the size I'd be looking for, same with the US brands. Hmm.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:00 AM   #5
GAR

MS,

While I appreciate the info posted by the OP, and will keep that in mind, I would not rule out the Toyo tires because of one random review on this forum. There are many factors that can lead to tire failure, and until we know more, I’m still relying on the Toyo for all my off-road vehicle use.

Gar
GAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:15 AM   #6

Gar,
I carefully check the date of manufacture also. I want a tire within three months of manufacture. My van scales at 10,400#, but the tires are rated to handle the weight. This is just a warning.
twotimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:32 AM   #7

Twotimer, thanks for sharing. I have always been a fan of Toyo Open Country's and just put a set of the A/TIIs on my Transit, I guess about 10k ago. They are E rated and wonderful so far but I'm nowhere near SMB average weight of 10k with the Transit, probably around 6-7k. Toyo Open Country HT (highway tread) were some of the best tires I ever ran on an Econoline.

@Madscience, were your BFG's the KO's or KO2's? I have put KO2's on several vehicles now and absolutely loved them. There looked awesome on my Transit and I got over 60k out of them before switching to the Toyos. They took me through a winter driving all over the eastern U.S. (for work) and didn't get noisy until about 40k. In fact, they are much more aggressive yet quieter than the Toyo's when new.

Twotimer, let us know what you put on your van.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:34 AM   #8

Garage
while im not a huge fan of toyo hd tires, my 285/75/16 at2's lasted me right around 30k miles and not one flat tire. they could have lasted another summer, but no way could they have done anything useful once there was snow on the ground or anything offroad that required traction. my van weighs roughly 9k. only reason i picked them up was i found 5 for a grand on ebay. im much more happy with my bfg's.

id also be pretty pissed with the troubles you describe. especially for what toyo asks for their tires.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:18 AM   #9

Yeah, they aren't cheap for sure! BFG's from Discount Tire are about the best and cheapest option I've found for these vans, and after mine lasting 60k I was blown away. These Toyos were an experiment. I hope I fare better than twotimer!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:34 AM   #10

I am on my second set of my Toyo Open Country M/T's, 305/70R16's, E rated. I never had a tire failure in 30,000 miles with the first set, with many many offroad miles on them, so got another set. Contemplated the A/T's, but decided to stick with the M/T's, since I had such good luck with them.

YMMV
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote