Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2015, 06:46 AM   #11

Re: Trailer Transport 4x4 SMB through the USA

Hi Philipp,
i will send you a mail

Didi

schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:10 AM   #12

Keep calling. Be there when they pick it up and make sure the equipment is proper.

When I shipped my SMB to Fresno once it got loaded on a standard car carrier, in the back spot on top, which was kept down as there were no cars beneath it. It was brilliant, and I tried and tried to get the same guy to bring it back.

Unfortunately, when it was returned, it was picked up from Fresno on a rainy day. They picked it up with a GMC 1500 and a trailer that was not wide enough to fit the tires- leaving them literally hanging half off both edges, drove it around the block and then put the pickup on the trailer and towed it with my SMB. I wasn't there of course and only found out when they tried to pull some monkey bulls#!t at delivery. Unfortunately there was no record of the mileage at pickup (I mean it was raining!) so everyone denied responsibility, but I got a free sock out of it from when the dude was changing clothes in my van.

Point being just because the first guy says no doesn't mean you can't, and just because some other guy says yes, doesn't mean he will.

Personally I'd hire a driver and have them drive it down for you so at least you know what you're getting into.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:12 AM   #13

Thx Didi and jage!

Being there is not easy living many 1000 miles away in europe. But John @ Quadvan will be looking for me; I am sure.
'10 Lada Niva
'04 Nissan 350Z
'67 Alfa Romeo Giulia
chetubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:24 AM   #14

This may already be one of the options mentioned above (because I don't know the official term), but when I'm driving cross country I often see very large enclosed semi-trailers that have logos such as "So-and-So's Classic Car hauling" or etc. They are always very clean, nicely painted, etc. which at least gives the impression that they are taking excellent care of their vehicular cargo. Whatever is inside is completely enclosed and hidden from view. I suppose it's not cheap, but I would be at least checking into it as it seems like it might avoid a nightmare like Jage had (how hideous!).
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:05 PM   #15

Went through a similar scenario with mine several years back - flaky shippers - folks bailing last minute because of the propane or the height or the tires. After it sat a month in the PO's driveway in Carlsbad I bit the bullet, flew out and drove it back to the east coast myself. Took a week but loved every minute of it.

I've also used Intercity Lines, the enclosed shipper for other vehicles and they are reliable and totally professional (and priced accordingly) but I think most of these vans wouldn't fit into the back of those rigs. But give them a call, ya never know.
glasspack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:44 PM   #16

Garage

chetubi,
G'day,

email Warren Barnes, Vice President, Schumacher Cargo Logistics, warren@sclusa.com

This company ships worldwide, I have used them many times, thorough & efficient. They are a large shipping company with their own ships.

Gas bottles have to have valves removed, probably batteries removed, no food or perishables, vehicle has be thoroughly washed inside and underneath, there will be an agricultural inspection in Germany,
they may want vehicle fumigated upon arrival, you can not put Cargo of any kind in the vehicle or it will be dumped at your cost.

Vehicle can be shipped RORO/roll on roll off or in the hold of cargo ship, either way, expensive.
Has to be insured. Vehicle must not be on deck or servere rust WILL occur.

Good Luck. Like me, vehicle ready December, will vehicle in mid May, has been a long process.

My vehicle will be in US for 3-4 trips over 18 months, then off to UK & Europe 6 months, then New Zealand and finally home to Australia. My wife wants to do the Tour de France in a Camper along the side of the road, watching the greatest bicycle race and the magnificent French country scenery!

Cheers.
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:52 AM   #17

If your still looking I have a car trailer and could haul it for you. let me know.
dig255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:17 PM   #18

Thank you for the advice and offers. The smb forum really is helpful!

I gave up the East Coast Option now. I will give the shipping Job to a bigger German company. The cooperate with US agents.

They will transport the van from portland to LA on a trailer (fingers crossed: big enough). There it goes in a container and to germany.
'10 Lada Niva
'04 Nissan 350Z
'67 Alfa Romeo Giulia
Old 04-09-2015, 05:28 PM   #19

I am very interested in what this is going to cost since we would like to do something similar but LA to NZ / Australia. Europe maybe later. We are taking care in our design to allow shipping in a 40ft high cube container. Height seems to be the critical dimension. Good luck!
Old 04-10-2015, 02:20 AM   #20

all in all (transport in the US, Shipping over the sea, insurance, unloading, dealing with customs...) about 3500 US$.

height was not a problem for the container in my case. my van has 7' 7". Length and height are more of a problem for normal car transport trailers (I learned).

PM me whenever you are in germany (I live in bavaria).
'10 Lada Niva
'04 Nissan 350Z
'67 Alfa Romeo Giulia