Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2014, 06:03 PM   #1

Transfer Flow aux tank fuse/wiring etc?

I was sandblasting merrily along the other day when I hit the corner of my rear aux tank a little too hard. It is rusty in some spots and was trying to clean it up. Anyway, it obviously had a weak corner weld because now it is seeping fuel. I know this may be a good sign the tank is shot, but I'm going to drop it and see if it's worth a repair before I decide to remove it.
I think I've heard here that Transfer Flow is no longer around? I would like to know for sure if anyone knows, but more importantly I'm trying to find out how the 2nd fuel pump in this tank is wired. I DO have the main/aux switch under the dash. Is there a fuse somewhere I can pull, then just remove the rear pump/etc., plug the lines and still have a driveable van while I repair this? I don't mean driveable as in going very far, just moving around the driveway as I continue work on it.

Thanks

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:42 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Transfer Flow aux tank fuse/wiring etc?

Transfer Flow is around, but I don't they they sell to end users, only certain upfitters like SMB.

Another option is a U Joint tank. Pretty close to you too.

Herb
Old 01-21-2014, 06:51 PM   #3

Oh yeah, love it but can't afford one. Nothing wrong with my front tank anyway but I'm not ready to give up on the rear yet. Overall the tank looks great.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:37 PM   #4

JB-Stick
Old 01-22-2014, 05:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
JB-Stick
Thanks, I thought about that and may just do it, but I want to drop the tank and verify that the inside is ok and there aren't any worse problems on the top of it where I can't see.

I really want to learn how it's wired and where the fuse is anyway and I haven't figured that out yet. Do you think they would've just wired right in to the OEM tank/sender/pump's wiring since they never operate at the same time?
Old 01-22-2014, 08:53 AM   #6

Can you take a picture of the switch? Maybe even the selector valve? The valve should be located near the fuel filter on the frame rail.

I'm not sure if T/F used the OEM switch and valve. I think for some some tanks were only transfer setups, which meant you could not select which tank to draw from, but those setups usually came with the "TRAX" monitoring system which showed total fuel as if it were one large tank.

The Ford selector valve uses only one power supply, so the main fuel pump relay and fuse under the hood powers both fuel pumps, and the selector switch directs supply power and sender signal back to the dash. The solenoid is single acting with ports for both supply and return lines. As long as the valve is working correctly, you *should* be okay pulling one of the tanks, but if you accidentally bumped the switch with a tank out, the residual fuel pressure would then dump out the open return line.

I highlighted *should* because sometimes the selector valve leaks and returns fuel to both tanks, so it's far from fail safe. Capping the lines would be a good idea. You can probably pick up a male-male fuel line fitting from Napa and connect the supply and return lines together just in case.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:30 AM   #7

Transferflow is still in business:

http://www.transferflow.com/

Give a call...they are a good company and should be able to answer your questions..
Old 01-24-2014, 01:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Transfer Flow is around, but I don't they they sell to end users, only certain upfitters like SMB.
Not strictly true.... if you have an existing install they may be willing to repair/replace.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:24 AM   #9

Yes, I've had our existing system repaired by them and there were other such customers in the waiting room at the same time. (Our problem was a busted filler pipe where the cap attaches. The resulting air leak resulted in the Check Engine light staying on.) We all got a nice tour of their manufacturing plant while we waited for our repairs to be completed.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:51 PM   #10

Very cool, Thanks! Problem is they are on the west coast correct?