Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2010, 07:40 AM   #21

Re: Transporting a Sportsmobile to Fresno and Back (Denver)

OK, so the work on the top was done by the 29th of November, but I'd scheduled return shipping with McNutt for the 3rd of December and was waiting to get the van back to give an update.

McNutt was very non-committal about getting Jack Nielson as a driver again. Apparently they were not impressed that I was happy with how he handled the van, and in addition didn't bother to copy over any information about it.

The van was scheduled out to be picked up on Friday the 3rd. My credit card was charged and I got both a voice and email confirmation that it would arrive here on the 8th (Wednesday). Tuesday night a different person from McNutt calls and says, "Yeah, um, the guy showed up and said your E350 cutaway is bigger than he thought and he can't pick it up."

I'm not sure how it was going to get to me Wednesday when they didn't even try to load it before Tuesday afternoon, however that's not my main concern. So I reiterated that Jack transported it out there and schedule was secondary in my book to getting him on a return trip, if at all possible. Among other things it would avoid this propensity to read the VIN description from 2005 and base all our decisions on that.

Speaking of which, McNutt then tried to infer that I'd had the van heavily modified since shipping it. Apparently, "everyone" was surprised that it was a heavily modified beast since they kept calling it an e350 cutaway... I'd guess the guy who failed to pick it up was fairly impressed from the description that came through the McNutt operator.

Still, I informed her that "No, it wasn't lifted" "No, the bumpers weren't added" "No nothing else was changed, except the color of the top. The top is a slightly different shade of green, does that make a difference?" She seemed disappointed that I hadn't been caught in a secret modification.

Luckily the same things that keep me from driving out to get it are keeping me from repacking and hitting a winter camping spot in December so I'm really not that put out by the delay. I know SMB doesn't want to play SMB storage facility, but my priority is getting it back safe and sound, not when. Hopefully McNutt can work it out and get Jack again, or another operator who can handle it.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:48 PM   #22

After much more difficulty finding a carrier to take it, we were told it was "On the trailer already" on Wednesday 12/15 and would be here this weekend. Well it is Sunday night and no word and no van. Hopefully the guy is at a truckstop in Denver or something and will be here early tomorrow.

McNutt and co. are rapidly sliding down the opinion ladder, at least in my book. Of course if it gets here unscathed I'll quickly forget all the delays, I just hope it gets here tomorrow so I can personally receive and inspect it.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:57 PM   #23

This would have been the perfect opportunity to use a Ham Radio APRS setup. You could have followed it the entire time online, and then track him down at the local truckstop.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:29 AM   #24

Yep, this sounds similar to the games I was playing trying to initially get my van from Ohio - PRIOR to SMB conversion. In the end (having far less patience) I flew out and drove it all the way across.

Looking back - I wish I had your patience...
Old 12-20-2010, 11:41 AM   #25

The guy called this morning and said he'd blown a trailer tire in Highlands Ranch (about 45 minutes from here) and would I mind if he drove it the rest of the way? I said "NO WAY", I'll come and get it.

He wouldn't tell me exactly where he was, and when I called back and hour later he said he'd arranged transport. It showed up on the back of a Chevy 1500, wheels sticking off the edges of the trailer.

Scary stuff, but it seemed undamaged. However before they unloaded it, I noted some things:
1. 1640 extra miles on the odometer
2. full tank of gas now below 1/4
3. temp gauge fully warm (doesn't happen in a trailer to trailer transfer)
4. HUBS LOCKED!

When it left of course, none of it was the same and I'd just topped off the transferflow tank. Apart from the 30ish gallons of diesel, it was clearly driven from Fresno to Denver, PLUS about 500 miles!

The guy had the stones to complain about coming through a snowstorm, which explains why the hubs were locked. The whole thing is dirty and could have been wheeled through moab or anywhere, in addition to getting flat driven from Fresno. The tires are scuffy and were 120 miles overdue for a rotation, which was #1 on my list for when it returned.

Called McNutt and they're "looking into it". Called SMB to get any mileage notes they have.

I'm sick of course. I'm not sure if I'm going to throw up or have a stroke first, but I'm absolutely SICK.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:27 PM   #26

How stupid can these people be? If you haven't paid them, don't. If you have paid them file a small claims action to recover what you paid based on wear and tear. Outrageous! Almost criminal but I can't figure out if any laws were broken. Do you have a written contract? Take pictures and document everything. Get a signed statement from the tow company that brought it regarding where they picked it up etc.
Bastards.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:44 PM   #27
Site Team

Hey Jage,
So sorry to hear what you're going through. I'll have to remember the "The trailer blew a tire so I'll have to drive it the last 45 minutes" is a sure sign of a rip-off.

After all the smoke clears you might consider posting about your experience here:
http://www.transportreviews.com/company ... ervice.asp

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:01 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVvan
After all the smoke clears you might consider posting about your experience here:
http://www.transportreviews.com/company ... ervice.asp
Five reviews, and their average rating is ONE star out of FIVE. Be sure all the SMB locations know about this outfit so at a minimum they get blacklisted by all of them.

Even a moron would realize that 98% of customers would notice the extra miles! Guess the driver would make a moron look smart.

Herb
Old 12-20-2010, 03:10 PM   #29
Site Team

Get any company info from the truck that ended up delivering the van? Should be easy to check with the driver as to how/when he was contacted and some specifics on the situation when he picked up your van.

As you research possible criminal violations, don't forget federal laws as the guys crossed multiple state lines.

Best of luck, and let us know if we can do anything.

Herb
Old 12-20-2010, 03:17 PM   #30

SMB West should be able to confirm if it was driven away or transported.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote