Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2010, 07:24 PM   #51
Site Team

Re: Transporting a Sportsmobile to Fresno and Back (Denver)

Jeremiah,

I agree with Mike. Seems to me someone taking your van without your permission is "grand theft auto". Transporting a stolen vehicle across state lines is "interstate transportation of stolen goods." Falsifying a legal document is "forgery." Taking money for services not rendered must be some kind of crime. Therefore, you need to get the police involved in this somehow. You need to take this guy down!!!!

I'm sure you feel absolutely violated by this situation. I had my house robbed several years ago and recently had my cargo trailer stolen with all of my camping gear in it (I'm a Scoutmaster). It makes one want to become a vigilante.

I hope everything eventually turns out well. Unfortunately you had to experience this tragedy so the rest of us could learn the lesson.

Regards,

Mac

Old 12-23-2010, 08:52 PM   #52
Site Team

Garage

Not to make light of the situation, but Christmas Vacation came into mind when I heard this.
What kind of guy this dude is would really matter. He must be a real card. No respectable person would venture to do this making me think taking care of the rig was the last thing on his mind. So I feel for you Jeremiah.

Adding to insult, what else did the scumbag do with the van? Hey honey, wanna go for a ride? When they broke into my van it felt no different than someone breaking into my house and both has happened to me. The only difference is with my home is I confronted the guy but my van...never knew until I was notified. It really bothered me and not just how they vandalized it. It's like someone’s in your bed......arrgggg! Hopefully you'll get some compensation and satisfaction.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:20 PM   #53
Site Team

Jeremiah, I think you also should put the name of the transport company in bold capital letters in every one of your posts on this discussion stream so that name becomes indelibly ingrained on every Sportsmobile owner's brain so NO ONE ever patronizes that company again. That name should be tagged somehow so that anyone who ever types the company name into the "search" on this forum gets warned about these scumbags!
Old 12-29-2010, 03:13 PM   #54

Haven't moved the van since the day it was delivered and that was just up the driveway and into the tent. I am waiting on a response from McNutt, and while the driver still swears he didn't drive it he has yet to produce anything that supports that he in fact did not, or rather that he did have it on a trailer.

Heck, I haven't even tried the new top out, but luckily I'm busy enough that putting the SMB gear back and doing SMB maintenance like rotating the tires can wait. For now it's ready for inspection if they fall through on the claim, and I don't want a bunch more miles or my taking care of fluids and tires to muddle things.

In the mean time, anyone know any short haul drivers or guys with a goose-neck/pickup type business that could give me some info on CDLs, insurance, and steps that should have occurred with DOT for interstate transport of a vehicle? It hurts their business and their industry to have one guy joyriding vehicles instead of driving them, so I'd like to find out all I can. PMs welcome.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #55

Final answer from McNutt Auto Transport: We're not going to charge you, that's all we can do.

The problem is the guy who ultimately drove my van still will not admit to doing so, despite all evidence to the contrary. He has yet to produce one shred of proof to any of his stories and in fact the contrary is occurring the more I learn- like the Idaho plated pickup that ultimately showed up with the van, the one he claims to have hired at the last minute? Belongs to him. The guy he paid to bring the van at the last minute- same last name.

There is more but I'll save it for the complaint. I've held off doing so in hopes that McNutt would take responsibility for this, since it's a permanent mark for them. In the meantime I've learned interesting things, such as the FMSCA provides for local legal filing, so I do not have to travel out of state to bring suit or subpoena.

http://nccdb.fmcsa.dot.gov/HomePage.asp

What can I say, other than that I'm really disappointed that McNutt Auto Transport is not willing to do anything. The lesson is, do whatever you want. Contract? Ignore it. Feel like taking a joy-ride? Just lie about it. Nobody is going to do anything.*

*Fresno PD would not take a criminal report as, since the vehicle was in my possession now it wasn't stolen. So apparently you can joyride in Fresno as long as you get the car back to the owner when you're done.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:08 PM   #56
Site Team

Quote:
4. How does the complaint process work?
* Your complaint will be entered into FMCSA's National Commercial Complaint Database and will be used for analytical and statistical purposes.
* Your complaint will be maintained in the carriers' file as part of its permanent record.
* If FMCSA decides to take enforcement action against the carrier/broker you may be contacted to provide additional information and documentation.
Wonder if you could read that file before using a carrier?

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:38 PM   #57
Site Team

Still makes me ill to hear this.

I don't put much value in BBB, but a complaint filed against the company might make you feel better, and make McNutt feel worse. Personally, all I think BBB cares about is clearing complaints off the books so the companies can show how wonderful they are.

http://www.bbb.org/southwestern-missour ... y-mo-14319

Herb
Old 01-07-2011, 11:45 PM   #58

BBB was the 2nd or 3rd thing I did. FMCSA provides for local filing of a lawsuit.

Also, Herb, as a side note I took the van in for tire inspection and rotation today and realized for the first time that he stole your sticker off the window- you know, the one showing that I was overdue for a rotation, when my oil was changed, etc. Not cool! I'm pretty sure I have all the info somewhere, but honestly I never thought I'd need a backup system!
Old 01-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #59
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
BBB was the 2nd or 3rd thing I did. FMCSA provides for local filing of a lawsuit.

Also, Herb, as a side note I took the van in for tire inspection and rotation today and realized for the first time that he stole your sticker off the window- you know, the one showing that I was overdue for a rotation, when my oil was changed, etc. Not cool! I'm pretty sure I have all the info somewhere, but honestly I never thought I'd need a backup system!
Wow, he really was pathetic and desperate! I'll keep an eye out on that e-mail address printed on there and see if he e-mails asking for more. I'll then be sure to forward his e-mail address to all the e-mail scammers in Nigeria.

Need more stickers Jage? I'll send them to you free of charge.

Herb

[EDIT: are you sure you don't have a new windshield?]
Old 01-08-2011, 11:50 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Need more stickers Jage? I'll send them to you free of charge.
I've barely made a dent in my stack and have been using them on all 3 vehicles religiously!

Thanks though.