Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2010, 07:58 PM   #1

Trojan Tire Carrier and Rear Bumper Storage Box

I noticed that at present SMB Ind has listed a Continental Tire Cover and Carrier option to mount the spare tier on the rear door. I never paid much attention to that until recently. Now I'm wondering if that is what I really want. Having the spare tire hung off the rear door doesn't seem a solid choice. It seems to me that the swing away Trojan Tire Carrier would be a better option. Then taking that one step further, is there an advantage to replacing the entire rear bumper with the Trojan Bumper and adding the swing away storage box...or just add the Trojan Tire Carrier only?

boydmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:03 PM   #2

Garage
Re: Trojan Tire Carrier and Rear Bumper Storage Box

Uh, well, only if you want the additional storage that the boxes provide. The bumper is a great step, too, not to mention protection.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:22 PM   #3

I think the size of the tires would play into this decision. Are you talking about a E-150 Ford van with stock LT-225 16's , E-350 with stock 245's or a 4x4 with 35" tires? Assuming they would even fit I would not want to hang big 35's off of the door. I have 35's and prefer the three point hinge the full bumper replacement system provides. There is a lot of weight back there. As far as advantages go, the full replacement bumper gives you some storage capacity, the swing away galley box is where I stow my grill, some tools, and spare parts, makes a great platform for water containers and wide flat bumper platform comes in handy as a workbench. Its a vital part to our rig. Would not leave town without it.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:10 AM   #4

I'm getting a GMC 3500 EB with stock 245 size wheels. If I understand correctly, I could stay with the door mounted spare tire mount as long I don't need to additional storage? The deciding factor then is the need for storage. If the additional storage is needed, then I need the replacement Trojan bumper. I'm not sure for me if the additional storage space alone is enough to justify the expense unless there is a structural issue with hanging the spare tire off the door.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:24 AM   #5

That's right. We have that setup - a GMC 3500 with the Trojan Tire carrier, although we have larger (and heavier) wheels. It works fine, and we also bungee-cord our folding chairs to the tires. Nary a sign of trouble.

I checked with Aluminess, the mker of the carrier, about whether they would do a matching box carrier for the other side, and was told that the mounting system was not adequate. Thus, the bumper is needed for additional storage.

If you have a trailer hitch, you do have the option of adding a receiver-mounted box, and there are a lot of options there. We've considered one, but so far have managed to make do without one. If that's not enough, it's time for a trailer...
Old 10-21-2010, 08:59 AM   #6

Roubo, is your recommendation that 1) if we don't need the additional storage to get just the Trojan Tire Carrier, not the door mounted Continental Carrier, and 2) if we need the additional storage get the Trojan bumper exchange? Do you have a photo of your tire carrier? If so I can send you my email address if it's too difficult to include here.

As you see, I'm new to this and everyones comments help. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:46 AM   #7

It so happened that the forum photo at the top right of this post for me was a picture of calclimber's carrier:

gallery/image_page.php?album_id=123&image_id=2184

You can click prev / next to see more photos, too.

The bumper storage is really nice to have (we added the big box) but it's probably the most expensive option per cubic foot. Others swear by the underfloor storage; there are roof boxes, trailer hitch carriers, etc that are all cheaper, too.

I'm happy to have my big box, though (and I think it looks cool, too ). We're a family of four in a regular body Ford, and we can fit our camp chairs, stove, sleeping bags, tarps, leveling blocks, etc in there, and out of the way. It locks and swings out of the way - trays and hitch boxes usually only do one of the two

I'd definitely recommend the Trojan tire carrier over the door mounted option. I've heard of the latter ripping off over time. And you should be able to sell it pretty easily if you decide later to move up to the bumper. Aluminess has a waiting list of people wanting to buy used tire carriers.

Good luck!
Mike.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:50 PM   #8

See the tirerack at the Aluminess web site http://www.aluminess.com/img/tire-rack-2_lg.jpg

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boydmiller
Roubo, is your recommendation that 1) if we don't need the additional storage to get just the Trojan Tire Carrier, not the door mounted Continental Carrier, and 2) if we need the additional storage get the Trojan bumper exchange? Do you have a photo of your tire carrier? If so I can send you my email address if it's too difficult to include here.

As you see, I'm new to this and everyones comments help. Thanks.
Yes, indeed. The Trojan carrier is much stronger. You can see a so-so picture of the tire carrier in my gallery. It's dark and raining now, but if the weather breaks over the weekend I'll snap a better one. The Aluminess website has decent pics under "tire racks."

As to the storage, you will need the bumper if you want to have storage on the other side. If you think you will be carrying extra fuel and/or water, a portable generator, a propane tank, or other stuff that is either too bulky or dangerous to carry inside, then I'd go for the bumper storage. Of course, if you get the back bumper, you'll need the front bumper, and that's getting pricey.

Incidentally, with any rear-mounted tire solution, if you plan on a receiver hitch bike rack, like we have, you need to sure that the rack clears the mountede tire. We had to use a hitch extender.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Of course, if you get the back bumper, you'll need the front bumper, and that's getting pricey.
You can mount the rear bumper without the front bumper.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote