Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2018, 11:05 PM   #1

Trump Considering 25% Tariffs on Imported Vehicles

Well, this is unsettling. Apparently Trump mainly wants to put pressure on Mexico, but also is particularly angry with Germany for not buying American SUVs. I'm not sure what to make of all this, but I surely am not thrilled by the prospect of paying 25% more for the Sprinter I have on order with SMB.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.baac990137b5

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-a...les-1527106235

TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:44 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
Well, this is unsettling. Apparently Trump mainly wants to put pressure on Mexico, but also is particularly angry with Germany for not buying American SUVs. I'm not sure what to make of all this, but I surely am not thrilled by the prospect of paying 25% more for the Sprinter I have on order with SMB.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.baac990137b5

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-a...les-1527106235
I'm sorry,I just can't help myself,I know what I have said and will say
about smart mouth comments but.....BOOHOO Besides,that's what you get for not buying AMERICAN and when did this become a political forum-NOT
Beasty Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:23 AM   #3

Garage
No desire to discuss any personal opinion in this tariff matter whatsoever ---
--- politicians gonna be politicians ---

But yes, AGREED, please, let's leave discussing politics to the argumentative cesspool that is Facebook.

(What are the sayings about the hot-button topics to avoid discussing over Thanksgiving dinner? Pretty sure they're ideally avoided for this forum as well.)

Besides, no way in hell is that 25% tariff gonna happen. More political chest-beating.

Now....can we all get back to discussing the finer points of lithium battery systems, Aluminess products, and overpriced 7.3L vans?
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:31 AM   #4

Instead of "buy American" mentality I really wish we would focus on "educate Americans". The crumbling of our empire began decades ago when our hunger for wealth took first priority.

Our head politician is a good example of making others suffer from their lack of education and insight. Enough with the conspiracy theories people. Not everything you read on the internet or see on the TV is real. Money isn't power. Love is all you need.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:06 AM   #5

Garage
You folks are going down a bad road....Leave the politics and personal views home.
Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:14 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
You folks are going down a bad road....Leave the politics and personal views home.

Yeah and that road is an easy way to get a thread locked.

From the community rules:

• Discussions about politics, religion and weaponry are likely to be closed or removed if they turn into flame fests.
  • We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously!

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:28 PM   #7

Garage
Transits are better anyway.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 02:09 PM   #8

There are other countries with even higher import duties, for one India charges 110% duty if you import completely built unit from abroad.
karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 02:36 PM   #9

I did not start the thread with the intent of it becoming a political argument. If this comes to be, it is not a political opinion, but becomes an economic reality to the very long list of people who have a Sprinter on order. Apparently, however, some of those replying want to turn it into that. This is a SMB discussion forum and SMB sells more Sprinters than everything else combined. This childish BooHoo, that's what you get for not buying American is misplaced and unconstructive. Those kind of replies are what does turn it into a political cesspool. The thread purpose is to constructively discuss the ramifications of this proposed tariff and how it would affect people planning to buy vehicles not branded as Ford or Chevrolet. Those capable of reasoned and adult responses are welcome to reply. Otherwise, please, just don't.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 02:46 PM   #10

TomH - I took your post as informative. I had not considered the impact to those waiting for a rig to be built.

Beasty Boy - not a response in keeping with the decorum on this forum, imho.