Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2018, 11:14 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
I'm afraid ya got me there. The only thing that comes to mind is the old Ford 7.3L diesel engine. Is this 7.3 related to the tariff (this thread), or is it related to another post I made today in another thread? Perhaps re. bringing a used E350 for conversion???
I am guessing you missed this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post

Now....can we all get back to discussing the finer points of lithium battery systems, Aluminess products, and overpriced 7.3L vans?

And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:20 AM   #22

Quote:
I met with Brian for an hour on Mon. to refine the build plan. My first question was about the tariff. He said the chicken tax on preassembled imports is already 25% and that MB already gets around that via the disassembly and then reassembly in SC. He doesn't anticipate Sprinters being affected if new tariffs are enacted.
Tom,

Thanks for the update glad to see this won't have am impact on yours and others new purchases.
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:11 AM   #23

Garage
Quote:
I met with Brian for an hour on Mon. to refine the build plan. My first question was about the tariff. He said the chicken tax on preassembled imports is already 25% and that MB already gets around that via the disassembly and then reassembly in SC. He doesn't anticipate Sprinters being affected if new tariffs are enacted.
Interesting....had always wondered how the Sprinters were getting around the Chicken Tax.

So they've been doing the same thing as Ford and Dodge have been doing with the Transit Connects / Promaster City vans --- namely, building them in Europe, then partially disassembling them....shipping them here in pieces, and doing a final reassembly to qualify as American-manufactured / duck the tax.

Didn't know this, either:

>> It sounds like regardless of any possible tweaks to tariff regulations, the new Sprinters are fully safe from any import taxes, regardless: the brand-new Sprinter is being completely manufactured (assembled?) from scratch in a totally-new assembly facility in South Carolina.

Mercedes-Benz Vans marks construction milestone at North Charleston Sprinter factory
https://www.postandcourier.com/busin...c2ae1f5d2.html

Serious long-term commitment by M-B to the North American Sprinter market.
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso View Post
I am guessing you missed this...
Ha, a month ago and 18 posts back! Sorry, at my age I sometimes don't remember which direction is to the bathroom when I get up in the morning, much less stuff like that.

Scalf77 and MountainBikeRoamer, thanks for the input and new info.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote