Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2010, 10:16 AM   #1

TV Service

who has an opinion on the best way to get tv service? is it cable? a dish? in general, what is the cost of tv service in a rig?

joerosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:47 AM   #2

Re: TV Service

To add a few additional questions: Is the penthouse rooftop "stealth" antenna strip worthwhile? Doe its augment or in any way complement a "regular" antenna like the Winegard? Is the TV co-axel cable connection still necessary in the digital TV age?

- Rusty
Old 01-14-2010, 06:59 PM   #3

I went through this exercise myself and the only way to guarantee TV is to get a Direct TV dish mounted on your van. The over the air antennas sort of work in a city but not at all in most campgrounds. Local and or network channels are another issue and are sometimes unavailable unless you pay a higher fee. To buy an inmotion GPS enabled dish, plan on spending about 2 grand (dont bother with the manual ones) and 50-100 bucks a month for programming or find a buddy with the service and use his account. Not a cheap option but I must admit that watching NFL playoff games at your favorite campsites is pretty cool. Heading out to Joshua Tree this weekend to do just that.
stevepar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:07 PM   #4
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerosh
who has an opinion on the best way to get tv service? is it cable? a dish? in general, what is the cost of tv service in a rig?
Just wanted to add an DIY suggestion option to also look into a DirectTV HD or Dishnetwork HD with the DVR option. I replaced the original hard drive with a 2 Terabyte Drive in my DirectTV HD DVR and have plenty of content to catch up and watch. HD Hi Def in the Sporto!

About the only time I need to hook up the dish when I'm camping so to catch up on something "live"; otherwise at home port, the SMB is docked downloading all my shows from the Sat(Bird) and staying charged; a DIY umbilical cord that contains the shore charge line and 2 Sat Coax cables..
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:07 AM   #5

I did purchase the Penthouse Stealth Antenna, and cable input. I did not really expect much so I wasn't generally dissatisfied. Of course, they are also the least things used. I did find that when I went to a digital TV that the antenna worked well in areas of good coverage.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote