Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2007, 09:42 AM   #1

Yeah, I could go on ad nauseum about the missing insulation I've found in areas, mis-drilled hinge holes, things that look like repairs mid-build, etc. I think someone either here or in the yahoo groups captured it well: there seem to be some installers at SMB who do quality work, and some who don't. You just don't know who you're going to get. Thus, the people who have the time to go to SMB during the build and inspect the critical steps will get better results.

Part of the reason for this lack of detail/quality behind the facade is their main market: it's people who do not push their vehicles to the extremes in TEMPERATURE. Thus, the insulation and sealing of the shell isn't all that important. However, as I've found for winter camping, it makes a huge impact. For the summer, people seem to get Starcool, which I didn't. However, in the summer, even the holes in the sides and floor can't compare to the heat load coming in through the doghouse for those of us with diesel...

As a final note, I'd say overall I'm fairly happy with my SMB for the service that it provides me that nothing else can. However, for the price, I found the workmanship to be pretty shoddy. It makes me worry about things like the 4wd system...

Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:38 AM   #2

Does SMB assign one tech to perform all the mods from start to finish or is it more of an assembly line approach with different techs specializing in each of the various systems?
Old 10-08-2007, 11:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarJR
Does SMB assign one tech to perform all the mods from start to finish or is it more of an assembly line approach with different techs specializing in each of the various systems?

Hmm, that's a darn good point. Don't know. If it is an assembly line, and all of one stage is poor (e.g. sealing and whatnot), then they all come out the same.

I know most people are super-happy with their SMB build and quality. Then again, most people don't take their systems to temp extremes, and they also don't tear down their systems to the studs to inspect the under-structure.

I've decided that in each post where I criticize SMB, I'll also note something in the same vein that I really like, if for no other reason than not sounding like a whiner: I LOVE LOVE LOVE my solid surface countertop in my RB50. It absolutely kicks a**.
Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 01:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarJR
I seem to remember that there are 'stages' where the same set of guys do different sets of the install.

Same guys do the prep and roof cutting, then another group of guys do the cabinetry, then another group of guys do the appliance installation, and then there's wrap-up and stereo.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:24 PM   #5

Re: Under the Facade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Seriously though, everybody who has the 50 should consider pulling the fridge and addressing this area. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, but I'm going to do something to rebuild and seal the lower section without taking out the counter.
In know it is an old post but, I had reason to pull my refrigerator due to a loose connection and found the area was neatly finished. The edge of the wallboard is finished in headliner. No extra holes in the walls, gaps, or loose insulation. Found a screwdriver tip on the floor.

charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:19 PM   #6

I just pulled my refer today and mine is also well finished just like the one mentioned above. Last weekend I spent hours on trails with very fine and sticky dust. My Van was full of the stuff and I pulled the refer to blow out the last of it.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:00 PM   #7

Under the Facade

People have complained about the hole behind the driver's seat, both for noise and for air leaks. I think the Badgers had a miss insulation problem in this area.

It's easy to see why:

This is pretty shoddy work. When I unplugged the fridge the whole panel flexed out- there's no support for the whole section. Even the outlet isn't squarely installed. The insulation is walking down, and has an easy exit through the big gap in the bottom. Even the hole for the gray water tank is just hacked crookedly.

It's easy to see why there are so many problems here. Not even a little care was taken to fit things correctly. I guess the theory is out of sight out of mind. Who wants a $100K vehicle that's well put together when you can have a $100K vehicle that looks well put together.

Seriously though, everybody who has the 50 should consider pulling the fridge and addressing this area. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, but I'm going to do something to rebuild and seal the lower section without taking out the counter.