Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2018, 12:24 PM   #1

undoing Quigley suspension

Im looking at a van that has the Quigley 4x4 installed. From reading on this forum the suspension that comes with the Quigley upgrade is not that good. How much labor and cost would it take to change out the Quigley suspension? What would be the best option to change it to. The van seems to be a very fair price (around 34k for an 06, v10 low miles)is the only reason I'm considering it knowing the suspension will probably have to be changed. I might have to factor this into the overall price.

buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:41 PM   #2

You can update the suspension with an Agile RIP kit that drastically improves the ride (from what I have heard). I would imagine it runs about $5k installed. They don't have a price on their website, but its new springs and shocks, so essentially a lift kit and that is what they usually run. Maybe $7500.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:01 PM   #3

Man If I were you I'd put some miles on it first before dumping a bunch of $ on it. We have 135K on our E350 w/Quigley 4x4 and we are quite satisfied by the ride and handling. I'm sure it could be improved but never have felt the need.

Joe
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigriver View Post
Man If I were you I'd put some miles on it first before dumping a bunch of $ on it. We have 135K on our E350 w/Quigley 4x4 and we are quite satisfied by the ride and handling. I'm sure it could be improved but never have felt the need.

Joe

Agreed. I've had two Quigleys (E350 and now Express 3500) and once i had Agile do some magic was happy with both. If its a Ford you can be into it with new front springs, 4 shocks, and a revised rear leaf pack for a few grand installed I'd think. I don't remember exactly though because that was a few years ago and I did some of the work myself.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:55 PM   #5

I improved mine by adding heavier duty shocks, springs and fox/agile steering stabilizer. Can't remember the exact cost but It was probably around $3k. I'm very happy with the upgrades so far.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:27 PM   #6

Garage
Most definitely drive it and identify what you don’t like before just spending money!!

Plus, you won’t really be replacing any of Quigleys parts unless you go with another companies conversion like expo vans, ujoint, or agile. What you need to replace are ill matched parts that Quigley installed with their conversion. Shocks, springs, stabilizers, etc. What agile offers is the best option hands down without a serious chunk of change and reconverting your van.

I’m quite happy with everything agile has assisted with. Only thing I have left is to get a good steering box and replace my worn out leafs in the rear. I’m likely going with a redhead box and using a local spring company once the buildout is complete inside specifically so they are matched perfectly with weight of van and intended load on rear hitch.

Feel free to ask questions as many here have Quigley vans on this forum. Lots of real world experience to be had with this group
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:42 PM   #7

As others have said, no need to pay the premium for a converted van just to have it replaced with another conversion. Either buy the Quigley and get the RIP kit from Agile Offroad or buy a stock van and have it converted by the company of your choice.

I've had 2 Quigleys and they both were constantly hitting the bumpstops with even the smallest bumps in the road. The RIP kit gets you a taller spring and more importantly the properly valved shocks for these heavy vans.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
Most definitely drive it and identify what you don’t like before just spending money!!...
I’m quite happy with everything agile has assisted with. Only thing I have left is to get a good steering box and replace my worn out leafs in the rear. I’m likely going with a redhead box and using a local spring company once the buildout is complete inside specifically so they are matched perfectly with weight of van and intended load on rear hitch.

Feel free to ask questions as many here have Quigley vans on this forum. Lots of real world experience to be had with this group

Ditto on driving it FIRST. And imho using it prior to designing a build out is good too, unless you know from experience exasctyl what uyou want.

Also, not to threadjack but

SHENRIE: Hi, what can you tell me about the redhead steering box? I'm just today decided to go with a rebuild box... any wisdom to share, or input? I'll PM you
Thanks!
Old 08-06-2018, 06:06 PM   #9

I had John at Agile install the RIP Kit on my last van. Front springs, steering stabilizer, all new shocks, dropped the sway bar, rear add a leaf and overload springs and it cost me about $3,000. Money well spent but I drove the Quigley 100,000 miles before I cut loose with the money.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:54 PM   #10

Wow, Agile has gone up! IIRC my Fox shocks were about $150 apiece, Moog front coils were about $100 and larger spring blocks for the rear about $50. Plus a day's labor in my driveway and all my stuff that came off was rusting to bits. Oh, steering stablilzer and brackets maybe $200 more. I'm coming up with less than $1k. Has it gone up that much?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote