Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2019, 10:24 AM   #21

I did the whole back portion of my van with Thinsulate was easy to install and have no complaints. I received quite ride precut last week for the cockpit floor, doors, & doghouse. Hoping to get it installed soon but can't really do it while the vans in the shop again. While I don't have a diesel my van is still kinda loud. CCV when they did the floor supposedly put in some sorta insulation and that seemed to help. My Maxx rattles a lot along with all the gear etc. These vans I think are just loud no matter if you started with a strait cargo style. My GF has a Starcraft GMC 1500 and its so quite! Hopefully the quite ride makes a difference!

keytothestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:14 AM   #22

I used the quietride on the my last van, 99 7.3 , and was impressed with the noise reduction. I will also agree that if the doghouse is not secured exactly right the noise level is noticeably higher.
Oly11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:04 PM   #23
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
I’d have to agree with what’s been said, insulation and soundproofing material are 2 different things. While Thinsulate has better sound deadening properties than most other insulations, it is an insulation first and foremost.
Quiet ride and dynamat, noico or any other similar adhesive backed butyl product designed for noise or sound deadening is what you’ll want to make things quieter.
I pulled the original fiberglass from the doghouse and covered the backside surface with dynamat then I think quiet ride before reinstalling the moulded fiberglass with foil tape, made a big difference. I don’t know about hanging it vs. adhering it to the backside as it’s designed, especially since you don’t want that stuff making contact with the pipes. Cover any metal on the doors and other accessible surfaces with the stuff for maximum results.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 04:37 PM   #24

x whatever number on the Quite Ride kit. Just start with the front and doghouse kit, likely all you'll need. I was very happy with it on my 6.0.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:24 AM   #25

It order to help block Sound you need an Air Gap. Then Insulation. This is the Biggest Mistake People make when trying to Block Sound. Air Gap acts as Insulation and Helps Break up the Sound Waves. Then Something like DynaMat ETc .. Also As others have Said Buy a new Dog House Seal for the Dog house.
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:31 PM   #26

You’re using the wrong materials. Sound deadening is specific to noise. Insulation is specific to heat. I just did my 2009 e350 XLT. Very labor intensive. It quieter than my 2006 Mercedes e55 AMG wagon ($95,000 when new).
JPIERCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:13 PM   #27

I'm going to use a product called hushmat, I'm going to put on the cabin side of the doghouse as there's already insulation on the inside. I'll cover it with something else after that, maybe auto felty carpeting or trunk liner felt type material. I'm lucky the ambo part seemed to be well insulated
vanislevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:27 AM   #28

Door seal foam

I have a Ford 6.0 diesel and it's a loud engine. I tried many things too. The best result (and bang for my buck) was foam door seal tape on the firewall side of the dog house; where the doghouse gasket hits. It insures that dog house is properly sealed every time.

Park your van parallel to a wall and stand between the engine and the wall and ask yourself 'How quite can this possibly inside?" use that to set your expectations.
whatpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:12 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPIERCE View Post
You’re using the wrong materials. Sound deadening is specific to noise. Insulation is specific to heat. I just did my 2009 e350 XLT. Very labor intensive. It quieter than my 2006 Mercedes e55 AMG wagon ($95,000 when new).

I agree it’s the wrong material for sound. I guess my point is that Hein is claiming that thinsulate is the best option for sound. I even told him I was considering Dynamat and he told me thinsulate was a better choice. In reality I think his expertise is in sprinters and he doesn’t understand how to truly tackle the Diesel engine in an e-series.
I found a newer dog house and seal at the picknpull in great condition so I purchased that. I removed the foil insulation and under that was already a butyl type sound deadening. I then added dynamat on top of that and then put the factory foil insulation piece back over that. I don’t think it has room for mass loaded vinyl. At this point I have a lot mass loaded vinyl and dynamat left. Trying to decide where else I should use it. Recommendations on placement of those for the purpose of sound deadening?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4934.jpg   IMG_4937.jpg   58066950428__A4CC31D5-B874-4FA0-97F9-11AFC263D523.jpg  
Surfvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:27 PM   #30

Go to Amazon .80 mil Noico equivalent to Dynamat and 1/4 XCEL marine grade neoprene on top. That’s all you need. Check out the site “sound deadening show room”. They describe application which is significantly important
JPIERCE is offline   Reply With Quote