Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2018, 10:37 AM   #21

My prior 1996 Dodge RAM EB3500 swayed all over the place when I first got it. Felt like I was driving a really old school bus or dump truck with manual steering. Upon recommendation of this forum, I purchased and had installed a steering dampening kit and sway was gone. Steering became nice and tight.

Old 12-01-2018, 12:43 AM   #22

A 2011 with 24k miles might be too new for this idea, but it's worth a quick look regardless.

The bushings on the rear leaf spring shackles can wear, at which point the springs can slide left to right on the bushings about half an inch. When this happens, it feels like the rear axle is steering the van at random, or is being wagged around by a phantom trailer.

Take a look at where the springs are with relation to the bushings, drive a little, until you feel it acting up, and take another look. If they moved, change the shackles.

Shout out to Agile, for helping me identify this as an issue I needed to take care of a while back!

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:09 AM   #23
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMODELA View Post
l.

I have been told that these need 5+ degrees of caster. I read to get the Ingalls 59400 bushings but they don’t look like they are available anymore. Any suggestions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMODELA View Post
Ok. Correct me if I am wrong but I read these come with fixed caster bushings that are non adjustable and that was why I needed the Ingalls one?
Alignment bushings for Ford's come with a relatively small range of adjustment relative to changing caster. Typically that range is 1* plus or minus which is fine for the most part. Once the initial caster is known (with your existing steering parts) its easy enough to select and install the bushings necessary to go from that reading to your desired 5*.

Any quality alignment bushing is okay to use, the Ingalls aren't really necessary IF you find a good alignment shop. Also typically this would be one who specializes in large trucks or RV's or buses. They're more than prepared and able to install and align to specs you choose unlike tire shops or similar consumer-based outfits

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
I would take it to a good alignment shop and ask them to max out the caster and check the other specs and even ball joint play.
^^^This is the first step you need to take----until you know if or what repairs/adjustments are needed we're all mostly speculating and maybe frustrating you further.

Please let us know how this turns out.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:13 AM   #24

BTW - I've had the best alignment luck by going to the same shop that aligns all area ambulances. This was part of a large chain, but the one shop that had the ambulance contract actually understood how the make the E-series drive well. They did a better job than the "truck" shops I'd tried prior.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:48 AM   #25
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
BTW - I've had the best alignment luck by going to the same shop that aligns all area ambulances. This was part of a large chain, but the one shop that had the ambulance contract actually understood how the make the E-series drive well. They did a better job than the "truck" shops I'd tried prior.
Hmmm--not sure "alignment luck" is something I'd count on!

I'm sure in every area there'll be one or two exceptions to the rule which is where the luck part comes in. The question becomes how does one find that luck for themselves?

I've talked with several chain alignment rack operators who were quite knowledgeable but admitted company policy prevented them from veering away from published spec's regardless how good a modification would be. This probably relates to the company avoiding any liability issues and that makes sense business-wise.

Even though I've had good experiences with truck shops I've used that's not saying every one will be superior to the chain stores. It helps me to talk to the shop long before I ever visit---the general nature of their conversation can reveal quite a bit. So I guess in that regard my "luck" has held out.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:42 PM   #26

I recently pulled off a factory steering damper kit with exceptionally low miles and was going to put it on my van but if you need it make an offer +shipping.
Pm preferred.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:14 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstar View Post
Try calling Agile Off Road and get the Ride Improvement Package. Does wonders
Yes, did wonders for my rig (Quigley 4x4 E350 extended)
CactusJackSlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:17 PM   #28

Sorrry this took so long. With trying to find a good alignment shop and working around 9 kids finally got it done.

Both left and right toe was 0.5 degrees. Caster was 3.9 and 4.2. And the wheel bearings were loose. So the adjusted the toe and the wheel bearings. Drives amazing.
NCMODELA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:12 PM   #29
Orv

Garage
Great to hear!