Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2019, 06:57 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
The extended-height rear doors look much nicer than the side ones IMO. ...

Has to be really helpful for a motovan as someone mentioned. Much less likely to smack you head while loading/unloading a bike.

Herb

Old 02-01-2019, 08:24 PM   #12

If you're doing a roof swap, it's easier to fiberglass in the tall door openings than it would be to transfer the metal door frame to new van, plus you would need to use the donor tall doors.

If I was buying a high top van, it wouldn't bother me to have the tall doors, but I really didn't see the need for them in my case.

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:36 AM   #13
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
I have two of these high roof/extended rear door vans----they were purchased with those features already added by competent converters.

As CarringB says since they're ADA-compliant its 100% certain there is an upper structure welded to the E-Series body, the extended height doors will have properly installed and fitted upper latches---that's an FMVSS from 2003 onward.

I'd strongly consider possibly buying the van outright and in its present condition rather than do all this work to swap the top onto another body. There are a number of advantages to the increased headroom but your actual use would ultimately determine if such a configuration would be that much an improvement over whatever you're driving at the moment?

I do like---or think I'd like---the extended side door height but my needs have the taller rear doors being much, much more useful. In my ideal world I'd have both side and rear doors taller but to date I've never seen on like that. I gather the further reduction in upper body strength is the reason but I digress........

FWIW the extended height doors do make entry and egress much "easier" than the typical E-Series configuration we typically see.

One note about this van pictured----the side door area has been modified to be more "bus like" which I'm sure is part of the ADA adaptation package. That could be removed, the body in that area "restored" to the original factory profile.

You do want to check if the front passenger seating area has been modified from stock---that's something I see quite often in these types of converted E-Series.

Best of luck here---could be heaven, could be hell!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:47 AM   #14

That van in the OP's post, by the way, has a top and probably the full conversion by FGME (Fiberglass Molding and Engineering in Thomasville NC), the same folks who did mine. I found another Dodge in town with the same top but a different door configuration and have also seen some Fords. Definitely not my favorite look at the bulbous front of the top, but no denying the space inside with headroom for a six-footer.

As mentioned by @JWA, that tall passenger door might reveal a city bus-type interior with several fixed steps up and a barrier where you'd normally find a passenger seat. That's the setup in the silver van pictured, which also has tall rear doors for the rear lift.

I've never attempted a top swap but if doing so would try to find the "closest to perfect" match to what I wanted before committing to all the work involved.
Attached Thumbnails
Braun1.JPG   Braun3.JPG  
campism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:04 AM   #15

I appreciate all the feedback. The van with the top I posted a picture of is a beat up salvaged title 2wd gasser on CL. I definitely don't want that instead of my 4x4 diesel . The swap project sounds pretty intense and I agree that I need to find the perfect top if this is even something I'm willing to tackle. All in all... GREAT feedback! Thanks fellas
Surfvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:32 PM   #16

I purchased a high top off of Craigslist in San Diego for 200. The guy I bought it from said he paid 100 from the local salvage yard. I installed it on my van and glued and fiberglass 3/4 plywood to reinforce the sides and top so it would safely support a rack and solar panels. Also added some windows into the high top for ventilation and views when sleeping in the van on trips. It took a few weekends but I was able to do it alone as the fiberglass top was not real heavy and I just shoved it up on the roof with some bootyfab wood ramps made from scrap 2x6. I’m a cheap bastard and my friends scramble (even if I have a fridge full of beers) when I come up with my nutty van projects...go figure.

High tops are nice for camping as you can get around much easier than in the standard roof height.

Good luck with your plans.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:30 AM   #17
Site Team

Here's another one that was part of an SMB For Sale ad that was just posted.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/...808777142.html

Herb