Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2018, 09:07 PM   #1
Gone Traveling

User Manual Delete...

I was never given a users manual or any instructions or documents of any kind, at all, when I drove away with my van and it’s a new top 13 months ago. And as you know, we have been fighting with them about so many other things ever since. I have been asking for troubleshooting documents, and specific instructions on how to use, fix, and maintain my top. I was finally given, via email, 2 PDF files that have absolutely nothing to do with the penthouse top. I spent 10 more days trying to convince them that they should send me the paperwork I needed in order for me to pass along to the new owner, because I’m selling the van. Peter Deltoro finally sent me something today about how to maintain, troubleshoot or fix it’s components, and work the electric penthouse top.It is 2 poorly copied PDF files, barely ledgable. It is also not specific to my top and doesn’t even seem to be the same actuators motors or bars (mine has hollow bars). Not being specific to my top, it does me no good. Even worse, it will do the new owner no good. Peter said in his email that they don’t have a manual for my top because it is “too new“. I’ve never heard of a company releasing a product, installing a product, and then a year later still not having a users guide for that product. How can I, in good faith, sell my gorgeous camping van to someone without an owners manual? We made sure the top works as it is supposed to, on our own dime because they would not allow us to bring it in for repairs. Jonathan made it very clear he would not let me on the premises (because I’m gay). So we paid for repairs out-of-pocket. There is four years left on the warranty which IS fully transferable to the second owner. We had to fight tooth and nail to get that agreement and document in writing. I feel good about selling because the warranty goes with it. But I have no documentation or instructions or anything for the top. What am I supposed to tell a prospective new owner? We are selling the van for $45,000. We are losing about $25,000 (depreciation is not included in that, so of course were losing less in reality).

This whole situation and interactions/sales/repairs/dealings/homophobic prejudices with Sportsmobile West has been such a nightmare we are actually selling the van and losing a ton of money. (I know a few other people have had to resort to this same decision, and it is outrageous). Somebody else will enjoy it, I’m sure, and I hope they make many amazing memories in it. But this experience... it was so bad that we have to get away from them. I am hoping to God that they do not treat the new owners the same way. I literally can’t sell it to a gay person. Have you ever...?

Back on subject: What are we supposed to give the new owners for an owner’s manual?

We will be SO happy when this is over. The van is beautiful, and it’s practically brand new… I have no doubt that the new owner would be ecstatic about being able to get one of these at a really low price, comparatively. I have already purchased the new van, and it is being upfitted by an actual reputable company. I’m going to move forward and couldn’t be happier about it.

And then there is the class-action suit… And I hope everybody they have every screwed over, joins.

Sorry for the rant. I am so looking forward to this kind of crazy to be gone out of my life once the Vin finds a new home, LOL. But any suggestions on our users manual for the new owner would be so greatly appreciated.

PS: I promise once the van vines a lovely new owner, my posts will be much more funny/inappropriate humor filled ;-).

PPS: Wasn’t there a girl on this forum who claimed that she had a ProMaster with a SMB top put on it? North, Texas, and West all say they have never done one (beside SMBW doing mine), But if there really is another one out there, I would love to get a copy of her user’s manual. If someone remembers who she is, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks again.
-VocalVirgo

VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote