Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2011, 10:11 PM   #11

Re: Van for build out-is this a good deal?

Those wraparound windows are going to make a full interior build difficult. I know you said it is a ways away for you, but it will limit your options when you get around to it. Great for a transformer, but makes everything else difficult.

Also, I am with Silver350, that does not strike me as a screaming deal. Doesn't matter if the guy is being cool, you aren't in it to make friends. Add taxes and ~$20-25k for a moderately equipped buildout and that is better than new but still serious cash. Also, like it or not, logical or not, that gasser is going to depreciate MUCH faster than a diesel.

webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:12 PM   #12

I just drove by Newburg Ford(didn't stop though) and they had at least 4 4wd vans up in front...I never guessed they'd have that many...
frostyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbmac
Those wraparound windows are going to make a full interior build difficult. I know you said it is a ways away for you, but it will limit your options when you get around to it. Great for a transformer, but makes everything else difficult.
Im curious....why do you imply full windows will make a full interior build difficult? My van (sprinter)was a cargo with NO windows at all. For looks(outside),I put in full glass all the way around, already knowing by my floor plan, walls, closets, fridge, etc, would be covering all of the windows except 2. There was no problem in the conversion.They just insulated the window and wall'ed it up
k9sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9sprinter
Im curious....why do you imply full windows will make a full interior build difficult?
For me anyway, window type and location are part of the build, and walling over part of a window would be more difficult to match the contour and look nice, if your build tried to leave part of a window open. If you're not concerned about covering the windows, or window type and location, and just wall over them like they're not there, yeah I don't see it would be a problem.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9sprinter
Im curious....why do you imply full windows will make a full interior build difficult? My van (sprinter)was a cargo with NO windows at all. For looks(outside),I put in full glass all the way around, already knowing by my floor plan, walls, closets, fridge, etc, would be covering all of the windows except 2. There was no problem in the conversion.They just insulated the window and wall'ed it up
Perhaps a poor choice of words on my part. I should have said 'not ideal'. The superfluous windows ultimately would make the van less rigid and also would pose some insulation issues. With the Sprinter, the rigidity is less of an issue and it sounds like you tackled the insulation issues.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:17 PM   #16

Quote:

Perhaps a poor choice of words on my part. I should have said 'not ideal'. The superfluous windows ultimately would make the van less rigid and also would pose some insulation issues. With the Sprinter, the rigidity is less of an issue and it sounds like you tackled the insulation issues.
How would built-in windows affect chassis stiffness? Have you seen the inner structure of a Ford van? The inner wall is the predominant structure. The outer wall is to keep rain out. And since it has a full ladder frame, that's where most of the strength is anyways (the Sprinter is unibody, so cutting holes has a much bigger adverse affect, which is why Daimler is so restrictive about modifications).
Old 05-30-2011, 02:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
How would built-in windows affect chassis stiffness? Have you seen the inner structure of a Ford van? The inner wall is the predominant structure. The outer wall is to keep rain out. And since it has a full ladder frame, that's where most of the strength is anyways (the Sprinter is unibody, so cutting holes has a much bigger adverse affect, which is why Daimler is so restrictive about modifications).
Yes, I have owed 2 Ford vans among the 10 Fords I've owned or own. Your 3rd sentence is your answer. With regard to the full ladder frame, I presume the F-350 has at least the same frame as the E series. This load is probably similar to a SMB buildout:

Old 05-30-2011, 09:18 PM   #18

Quote:
"I'm no engineer, but to me this looks like a problem." - Notice how they made Howie say that, and the engineers never responded but then started talking about why the frame is different not whether it's bad the way Ford does it...

I do think it's different in the vans since the bed is designed to twist separate from the cab, whereas the van body is one system.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:43 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage

I do think it's different in the vans since the bed is designed to twist separate from the cab, whereas the van body is one system.
Exactly my point, the van can't rely on the frame, just look at the truck. That's why cutting superfluous windows in the body is bad (or at least not as good as a panel van with windows purpose cut for a build), especially in a 4x4 van. Kind of like removing cripple walls from a house.

BTW, I chuckled at the video too. Typical advertising innuendo and hyperbole, but I only posted it to prove a point.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:15 AM   #20

aahhhh yaaaaHHH!!!
well decided to not go that route and just bought a 2000 quigley eb 50 poptop from a really nice guy in tahoe. im ecstatic!!! my kids are going nuts too!
anyway thanks for the advice and ill post pics soon!
jas
yondermountain is offline   Reply With Quote