Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2018, 11:26 AM   #1

Van Stolen and Recovered. Need some info.

So my van was stolen on Wed mid day infront of my house. Posted it up on Nextdoor and someone spotted it a couple miles away early this morning.

Met the police there and trying to figure out if it's driveable or not.

They removed the ignition core completely and I'm not completely sure if I can start it with out it. I kinda tried to start it when I got to the van but didn't seem like whatever was left of the core wanted to turn. The thieves abandoned it last night and not sure if they completely removed the core so that it was unstartable or not. Here's pic:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CrHVCAVzJqalaJnP2

Anyone know if this can be started with the right tools? Only tried by hand and couldn't generate much force.

Luckily there is no body damage. They stole myt led light bar, winch, rear light bar, stereo, subwoofer, goal zero battery bank and bunch of other stuff. No damage to the appliances.

Goal is to try to get it started and move it to my house while I find a decent shop to work on it.

On that note I need some recommendations for the Bay Area for some Shops to
1. fix the ignitiion
2. install winch, light bar etc.
3. and what ever other misc work it's going to need like

rean1mator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:47 AM   #2

Garage
Very unfortunate ! BUT, Very fortunate to have found it so quick, and with what sounds like some easy/minor repairs & replacements. Hope they manage to catch the scumbags ... sympathetic when good people are forced to enduring the aftermath of such violations. Sorry, no help on on the recommendations...moved out of the Bay Area 30 years ago.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:55 AM   #3

Can't help you with shop recs, but keep an eye out on craigslist for the parts that they stole.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:43 PM   #4

So sorry to hear this. If the bastards were able to start it, you should be able to also. You need to turn the inside of the lock mechanism, possibly with a large screw driver or some other tool about the size of the hole and perhaps hold up the shifter in the Park position. Most body shops should be able to help with the repairs. Again, what a bummer, I worry every day about some scumbag taking my van and just yesterday added another layer of security. Ray, (1der) discovered someone breaking into his van because his motion detector was set off. I bought this set-up and so far it's worked fine. The motion sensor is on the dash and the reciever in the house. If anyone gets inside, I'll know it right away. Best of luck.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:45 PM   #5

Sorry to hear about the headaches. Apparently/ unfortunately your experience is not unique, especially in the SF Bay Area:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto...524525620.html

Perhaps some photos or detailed descriptions (brands, color, etc)of your loss would help us spot some of what was lost.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:08 PM   #6

Managed to get it started turning the sprocket inside the core. Took a few tries as the thieves had used up a full 18 gallons from my second tank and the tank switch was set to that. Didn't realize it at first. All in all not too bad, could have been far worse I guess. My biggest concern was that the damage would be extensive which it isn't. Biggest concern is that it jerks shifting out of 1st gear which it didn't do before.

Waiting on insurance call back and doing paperwork for it now.

Still looking for shop recs, mainly for the replacement and wiring of the replacement lightbar, winch etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
So sorry to hear this. If the bastards were able to start it, you should be able to also. You need to turn the inside of the lock mechanism, possibly with a large screw driver or some other tool about the size of the hole and perhaps hold up the shifter in the Park position. Most body shops should be able to help with the repairs. Again, what a bummer, I worry every day about some scumbag taking my van and just yesterday added another layer of security. Ray, (1der) discovered someone breaking into his van because his motion detector was set off. I bought this set-up and so far it's worked fine. The motion sensor is on the dash and the reciever in the house. If anyone gets inside, I'll know it right away. Best of luck.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
rean1mator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:13 PM   #7

Devil Mountain Diesel in Walnut Creek did quite a bit of work on my Sportsmobile (which coincidentally was also just stolen). They are not cheap, but they do good work. Good luck with getting your rig fixed up.
Viajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:36 PM   #8
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Sorry to hear. If it were me, I would address any mechanical issues and repair the steering column including having a shop look at the shifting issue before you start replacing winch, lights and stereo. Good luck
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rean1mator View Post
My biggest concern was that the damage would be extensive which it isn't. Biggest concern is that it jerks shifting out of 1st gear which it didn't do before.
Sadly, it's likely they were doing burn out's or otherwise abusing the drivetrain. It sounds like the bay area is turning into a hot bed of Sportsmobile theft. So sorry...........
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:45 PM   #10

It saddens me hearing stories of stolen vans. I wish crooks would not transfer whatever problems they have to others.

Thanks for the tip arctictraveller. I was also just contemplating Ravelco the other day and that has moved up the list. Sorry for those dealing with their rigs being stolen.
wish41 is offline   Reply With Quote