Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2018, 02:44 PM   #1

Van titled as Commercial

All,

I was looking into a van. It was not made by Sportsmobile. After looking into it although the van is converted to an RV or passenger vehicle it is titled as a commercial vehicle. This is concerning to me if I ever try to resell it. you cant get a vehicle loan out on a commercial. Has anyone ever come across this? Does anyone know a way to change the title from a commercial to an RV or passenger vehicle?

Thanks for any help in advanced

Jared

KnoxSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 03:13 PM   #2

Garage
People who buy ambulances are in this situation.

Each state is different, but there are normally requirements set by the state for a vehicle to be considered an RV...such as electric, plumbing, toilet, cooking capability, etc. Once people install the required equipment, they submit required paperwork to register/title as an RV. The vehicle may or may not require an inspection.

You should be able to find information online, including laws related to this for the state.

You may talk to someone at a DMV office, but sometimes you get what the person thinks.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:51 PM   #3

If you're in CA, you will have to go to the DMV and have it inspected to be switched from commercial to passenger.

My passenger van was registered as a commercial vehicle with the added weight fees. When I went to the DMV to change it, they asked if I installed rear seat belts and rear seating. I told them it was all factory installed and they were confused as to why it was registered as a commercial vehicle. Needless to say, it was changed and I don't have to pay the weight fee anymore.

When you say you cannot finance a "commercial titled" vehicle, can you elaborate? All pickup trucks are titled as commercial vehicles including compact pickups. The way its categorized shouldn't affect the financing of it.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:31 PM   #4

In Colorado:

You can get loans on "commercial" vans but it's at a higher interest rate. I got a loan from a credit union on my used "passenger" van at 2.9%. If I would have got a cargo "commercial" van, the best rate would have been around 7.9%
Insurance is also a little more on "commercial" vehicles here.

FWIW I think most people are more concerned with the vehicle itself rather than how it's titled.

I'm not aware of a way the VIN and title could be changed....
2x 1987 BMW 535is
1995 BMW 540i6
winmag4582001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxSportsmobile View Post
All,........

Jared
Where are you located? City and State
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 06:46 AM   #6

I bought my SMB from NC and it was titled as a truck. When I titled it in PA I petitioned to have it changed to an RV. Just needed to fill out a form and have it signed by an accredited mechanic I believe.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 07:59 AM   #7

I live in CA and bought my van in WY.

When I went to the DMV, since it was out-of state it required an inspection at the DMV...the guy doing the inspection was new and marked the form as commercial...I discovered this when I went back to the counter to pay.

A few days later I went back to the DMV, they re-inspected the van (passenger van with seats/seatbelts). The second inspector mentioned that the first inspector was new and made a mistake....back to the counter, had to sign an affidavit stating that I would not use the van for commercial use, and they gave me a non commercial registration and plate.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 07:59 AM   #8

I am located in TN (Knoxville). I don't think it is going to be a big deal to get the registration changed. I am more concerned with how it is titled. Its not going to be easy to resale something (if that day comes) that someone cant get financing for.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxSportsmobile View Post
I am located in TN (Knoxville). I don't think it is going to be a big deal to get the registration changed. I am more concerned with how it is titled. Its not going to be easy to resale something (if that day comes) that someone cant get financing for.
Changing the registration will change the title status as well.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:48 AM   #10

it makes me wonder if someone messed up along the way. This thing does not have a commercial registration but it has a commercial title/vin