Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2018, 12:43 PM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rean1mator View Post
Thanks for the insightful comment.
If you would have actually read the entire post, there was no mention of using it for bikes. but yeah.
Don't take it personally. It was meant as a general lousy comment. Thule mostly makes bike racks, hence the statement. I have no idea if you will use them for that purpose as well.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:40 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewMoto View Post
I just re-read the first post and caught a detail. The bottom of the track is plastic, but surely the main track is metal, right? You gotta ask yourself, "How is the plastic attached to the metal, and do I think it's as strong a bond as my VHB when the engineers at Thule knew the plastic would be sandwiched between the metal rail and the roof by screws?"

Sorry but I have never seen one of these tracks in person.
This would be my concern also, I don't believe the plastic piece was designed to hold down the rest of the track. I was under the assumption that the plastic piece was to keep crud out. When installing with screws, they go through the metal and plastic track, not just the plastic track. My concerns would be with the track being held down by the plastic piece, not the tape failing.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 03:44 PM   #23

Thought of this while installing and used fishing line throught the holes on each end of the tracks to tied the plastic piece to the metal frame so that it cant come off or slide off. It's on pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
This would be my concern also, I don't believe the plastic piece was designed to hold down the rest of the track. I was under the assumption that the plastic piece was to keep crud out. When installing with screws, they go through the metal and plastic track, not just the plastic track. My concerns would be with the track being held down by the plastic piece, not the tape failing.

-greg
rean1mator is offline   Reply With Quote