Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2010, 12:38 PM   #1

Voyager Tops?

So, we want a high top for our Ford E-350.

We were looking at Fiberine, and have read some critical reviews of their quality.

I see that SMB has a "full height" Voyager top. Does SMB actually make it? Or is there a supplier they use that we could contact separately? It seems crazy to use them for the top only, given the likely waiting period...

Thanks in advance?

Sandi

Old 05-26-2010, 02:02 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Voyager Tops?

They have all their tops made for them. You might call SMB and ask who they get them from.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:47 PM   #3

have not seen one in person

http://www.discountvantruck.com/vantops ... antops.htm
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:58 PM   #4

Bill, that's the link I posted in the Home Built forum, and what we were planning on.

It seems that this is a Fiberine top, which has had some pretty negative reviews on thesamba.com

Thus why I wanted to know if there was a more "quality" manufacturer of the high tops.

Sandi
Old 05-26-2010, 05:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi
Bill, that's the link I posted in the Home Built forum, and what we were planning on.

It seems that this is a Fiberine top, which has had some pretty negative reviews on thesamba.com

Thus why I wanted to know if there was a more "quality" manufacturer of the high tops.

Sandi

LOL, i got the link from YOUR post

just briefly cked out the samba
did not see recent bad press on the Fiberine top
someone needs to do a recon trip to thier shop
Old 06-08-2010, 12:16 AM   #6
TRM

I've been thinking about fiberine tops too. What is the bad news about them. I'm going to send and email and find out cost.
Also El Kapitan will install a top
TRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:58 AM   #7

I think SMB fresno gets their tops Voyager and Cruiser from Fiberine

Fellow boardy was told this by "owner"

YMMV
Old 06-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRM
I've been thinking about fiberine tops too. What is the bad news about them. I'm going to send and email and find out cost.
The guys on the Expedition Portal had one instance in which a Fiberine top "warped" when they used it for a VW top. Lots of trash talkin', but that's the only specific instance mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRM
Also El Kapitan will install a top
No, apparently not. I spoke with them last week, and they referred me to a local guy in Norco for our "minimal" needs.

Sandi
Old 06-10-2010, 08:57 PM   #9
TRM

opps,
sorry about the El kapitan. Talked to them last year and they seemed cool with just doing a top.
Emailed Fiberine and got speedy response back. They outlined all prices for me. Just email them with specific interests in top and windows and I'm sure they will get right back to you.
Lets keep this topic going until one of us gets a top installed!
TRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:05 AM   #10

I pulled the trigger on the Fiberine Bubble Top and had them install it last Friday. Was considering both a pop-top or voyager through SMB but they couldn't fit me in until August. I found this place online and it was somewhat local to me so I called and spoke with them a few times to gather as much info as possible. Really wanted to get it installed for summer use.

Ended up going with their Bubble Top with a little extra wood mixed in on the top for reinforcement for a future rack. You can choose no wood on top, three strips to hook interior on or reinforced like I did. They will install windows although they only had the smaller 43x12 size in stock so I opted to wait for now. I will be installing a Fantastic fan and windows in the near future. Will also be adding windows to the van.

My van now sits at 9 feet tall and I can completely stand inside with NO problem. I am 5' 8 or so and I would say there is a good 4-6 inches above my head in the center when standing. Once I get some insulation and finish in there I expect it to drop an inch or two. That combined with a floor eventually will still allow walking room. It is big but once in the desert or out camping I am sure I will be enjoying my decision.

The staff at Fiberine was great. They are more of a manufacturer and distributor but they do about 3-5 roofs a week they said. You would have to call and get pricing as it will vary with what you want.\

Special thanks to BillWilson, Blackeye and Adventurerider for their continuos feedback...and those others who responded to my PMs. Thanks to all of you!
Eric

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote