Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2015, 08:44 AM   #1

Garage
Wanting, needing, desiring.....my first SMB, but.....

Hey there, I am trying to pull trigger on my first SMB. Wife is "ok" with it however, I have 4 kids, and want to bug-out with them. I realize these "temples of travel" are perfect for two people, I've tried to educate myself on size regrets, etc. my hope is to explore our great country, Canada, Baja. I have no mechanic blood in me, I'm willing to learn, the Overland group had courses on field repair, nav, driving skills, but they haven't offered any courses in quite a while. So my questions :
1. How reliable are the ford v-10s? ( I don't want to shoot plugs while knee deep in donkey dung! I'm looking at a 2012 v-10 with 32,000 miles)
2. Is 90-100k a reasonable price spectrum for a pretty loaded rig that is three years old? (Using my kids college money....
3. This glorious monster will be my daily driver, mostly coastal, except when adventure calls, any concerns I should have beyond gas mileage ( which is still a concern).
4. I need to haul a trailer full of surfboards, any brand suggestions? Needs to be secure, and road worthy. ( I've dealt with bearing races that look like broken teeth, and it ain't purdy!)

Any info would be appreciated. New to this forum, new to adventure, need to live ALOT! Thx in advance....

Old 02-11-2015, 10:01 AM   #2

Re: Wanting, needing, desiring.....my first SMB, but.....

Daily driver?? Where do you live and where do you have to park on a daily basis? Any second car?

V10 = highly reliable, great power, great towing, mileage arnd 10 to 13 depending on what you are towing.

How old are the kids? Teenagers plus two adults is a lot to put into an SMB, imho. If the trailer you will be towing has accommodations, then you should be good.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:12 AM   #3

uhh, not sure what you mean by the Expedition Overland not offering classes anymore? You've got until March 1st to sign up for as many as 170 http://www.overlandexpo.com/west

In my application the van is barely sufficient for a family of 4. With more bodies you will need more seats and I would seriously consider more windows than what you see on the typical e-series conversion. It's hard sitting in the back and not being able to see outside. Kids get car sick as well. Windows help. More seats takes away from living space so make sure you get something that can be readily removed.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:13 AM   #4

There was a post here a while ago from a guy with user name Ridge that has both a V10 and a 6.0L PSD and as far as reliability went, the V10 won all the way. See below:

http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtop...lit=v10+vs+6.0

It is an eyeopener of a read. That said, from my experience and reading I believe the V10 is also more reliable than the 7.3L PSD. I bought my 7.3L PSD when diesel was the cheapest of the fuels. If I could go back in time with what I know now, I may have bought the V10 instead. [That said, with the knowledge I have accumulated over the years about the 7.3L PSD (although very little in comparison with other 7.3L PSD owners) I will likely keep and rework my 7.3.]
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:15 PM   #5

Garage

Thanks! I do have other cars, kids are 18,15,12,8. I expected to use tents also. I agree windows for travel would be ideal. Can't afford a ground up build on a new unit. I plan on attending the expo....the website I went to had a very outdated classes schedule - my bad. Thanks for responding.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:47 PM   #6

Very rare for SMBs to come with seating for 6.. but this one has seating for 5 plus a dinette, and windows.

http://www.sportsmobile.com/inventory-d ... ory_id=301
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:49 PM   #7

Well then, for your trailer ideas be sure to stop by their booth at the Expo or stop by their shop in Prescott. http://adventuretrailers.com/
Old 02-11-2015, 02:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzero
(Using my kids college money....
Seriously?

Don't mean to judge or be a buzz kill, but have you at least considered an older, much cheaper SMB? With two kids in college and one already out, I'm not sure how we'd have managed tuition without savings.
InigoMontoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:28 PM   #9

Garage

Nah, Inigo...Just a brash figure of speech considering the cost of the SMB. My wife see's it as my geta-way vehicle, I just want to be sensible, she'd prefer a Sprinter RV but (no hate) I don't see myself in one of those tarmac trawlers (as sexy as they are).
Quote:
Originally Posted by InigoMontoya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzero
(Using my kids college money....
Seriously?

Don't mean to judge or be a buzz kill, but have you at least considered an older, much cheaper SMB? With two kids in college and one already out, I'm not sure how we'd have managed tuition without savings.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:18 PM   #10

LOL, Tarmac Trawler good one and good luck with your search.