Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2017, 05:24 PM   #1

Garage
wanting to swap stereo and speakers

Is there a general consensus on replacement speakers and head units?

I would love some opinions... WAAAAAAYY too many choices to sort.

I'm looking at the pioneer apple play stereo but speakers I'm indifferent. I've always heard infinity speakers were awesome but outside of that I don't know where to begin.

Thanks!

-John

vanderpooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 05:46 PM   #2
Site Team

Personally I think that insulating the cabin against noise is more important than the actual stereo components themselves.

Herb
Old 08-20-2017, 06:00 PM   #3

It's pretty hard to go wrong on a head unit in the mid range of pricing. Stick to some name brands and get the features you want. Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood, etc etc. Any $100 plus pair of speakers is gonna beat ass on factory stuff.

I just wanted a decent setup and went with Kenwood Excelon with pioneer speakers. I did do the soundproofing and dampening and that absolutely helps out. I wanted Sat radio too and didn't opt for navigation, my iphone does well enough. One thing that I did that a couple others have one here is buy a small 100 dollar class D amp instead of the Head Unit amp. It's a really nice small upgrade that makes a big difference in the clarity and power. Nothing fancy, but it works really well and I stuffed it back behind the head unit. I may add a powered sub later for some more low end.

Just read reviews and make sure the unit doesn't have a lot of issues and you should be good.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:06 PM   #4

I've had really good luck with Infinity Reference component speakers in my other vehicles. I tried other brands (JBL components), but the Infinitys are noticeably better but still at a reasonable price point. One of these days I'll install a set in my SMB. I think having component speakers in the front would make a big difference, getting the tweeters up at ear level vs. down low in the door panel.

If you aren't in a big hurry, Crutchfield usually has some pretty good Black Friday deals. Also, occasionally they do BOGO sales on speakers. Subscribe to their e-mail list for notices.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:56 PM   #5

I had the people SMB uses put mine in and I requested decent speakers but not audiophile stuff. They put in a Kenwood DNX6990 head unit along with a JL Audio sub & Kenwood speakers. Sounds good to me but I'd agree that soundproofing the van would be a smart idea. Wish I had done that when our van was built.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk