Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2007, 09:24 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edie
Hi Ed in Montana, Thanks for the advice on the carpeting ( we have something similar now in our VW). The white mesh privacy screen for the front and side windows is a GREAT idea! I think we'll go for that. Also, I'm very glad to hear that they have zippers on the Penthouse window screens. I guess the bugs are, too!

Jeff and Maranda, We'll check on the AMP steps and other options. Thanks. I'm 5'4" so will definitely need a portable step while camping.

And Herb, the LED lights sound like a must. (We mostly use candlelight in the evening).

We leave tomorrow on our vacation and meet with Jonathan next week. Can't wait to see all those Sportsmobiles!!

Edie
Take a camera, or better yet a camcorder. You'll quickly be overwhelmed and will overlook a lot of things.

Herb

Old 10-03-2007, 01:09 PM   #12

Fresno Factory Pictures

Hi all,

I'm Jeff, Edie's computer-techno-literate son. I've cropped, shrunk and uploaded some of the pictures Mom took on her recent trip to the SMB factory (on Sep 28, 2007) in Fresno. Here they are. Enjoy!

I really like the last one. Reminds me of the very first vehicle I got to drive: our good old red 1969 VW van - complete with extractor exhaust with glass-packs, and custom blue star filled Peter Max curtains. I wonder what year the SMB VW in this picture was?
Old 10-03-2007, 07:32 PM   #13

If you're feeling particularly rich, I'd recommend the Dynamat treatment in the doghouse (with a diesel) and the front compartment floor/doors to address the noise issue (again with a diesel). I wish I'd had this done. Instead, I just finished doing the underside myself which was a pain.

If you're going to do any extended cold weather travel or sleeping, then I'd recommend:

A. Getting your underfloor insulated before they lay the plywood floor. My water tank would freeze prior to me insulating under it. I now use a carpet overlay in the winter which helps a bit too. Wish I'd done the insulation...

B. Get your doors insulated (I've heard that's an option now)

C. If you can go there and check the insulation job of the walls before they close it up, do so. They did a particularly poor job on mine, and I have missing insulation (and drafts...) all over the place.

D. Get the Arctic Shades (or make your own). They REALLY help.

E. Regardless of cold weather or not, SMB needs to learn to patch the large hole they cut in the outer wall for the water fill drain. Air shoves up there and enters the van. Many of us have had a problem with this.

Good luck! I'll bet with your years in a VW, you'll be able to give _us_ some tips in return!

Ken
Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:16 PM   #14

Hi Ken,

Thanks for all your suggestions. We'll be getting a gasoline SMB, so that rules out the doghouse problem. (I hope?!) 2008 Ford E350 V10 4x4.

We don't plan on winter camping, but you never know....We've been snowed on and frozen in July in WY and MT. We try to be prepared. We ARE getting the carpet overlay.....plus furnace.

We met with Jonathan (Fresno) last Fri. He's a great guy, also! Very helpful. (He's in the first photo that my son, Jeff posted). I'll make sure that the doors are insulated, plus give him your recommendations as to the other areas.

One freebee he's going to give us: wood panelling in several places behind the finished wall covering, so I can screw into it. I'm an artist, so I want to make some special configurations for wet paintings, etc, etc. Without that backing, it wouldn't work.

Edie
Edie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:33 PM   #15

VW Camper

Hi Jeff, i believe that's a 1967 camper. I had a 1970 VW camper. Bought it slightly used (3,000 miles) for $3,250. Had it for 10 years. guess i got my money's worth out of that one.

Philrod
2007 E350 V10 RB

Yess! I got it!!
philrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edie

We don't plan on winter camping, but you never know....We've been snowed on and frozen in July in WY and MT. We try to be prepared. We ARE getting the carpet overlay.....plus furnace.
Ah, well, if you don't plan on winter camping, then the door insulation and whatnot (to include the arctic shades) isn't really cost effective, unless you like spending money to spend it. Dynamat to reduce road noise, maybe. But if you'll only see a couple of nights below freezing a year, just turn the furnace up a bit more....
Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote