Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2010, 02:18 PM   #1

What are people paying for used SMB's?

Used SMB's are being listed for inflated prices to my mind. Often it would make more sense to buy new (the wait notwithstanding). But I am only seeing the list prices, not the sold prices. Would people mind saying what they paid for their used SMB's with some core features (e.g. PH, 4WD, RB or EB, etc)?

diver110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:56 PM   #2

Re: What are people paying for used SMB's?

Used SMB's with high prices may have features/options that you hadn't considered and don't want or need. Many of theses vans have new prices well over $100K, hence the high used prices.

Maybe you should build and price a new SMB and start from there. Then decide what you are willing to pay for a used van. Remember, asking price is just that. And it is a starting point for negotiations. Maybe the seller likes the van more than you do and won't come down to a price you will pay. Then you have to move on. If all used vans are priced higher than you are willing to pay, then you aren't going to buy one of them. Or you will have to change your willingness to pay more.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:46 PM   #3

Here's a good place to find prices. Listings are presented in a fairly uniform format so it's easy to compare. Watch the page for awhile; vans that stay on a long time are probably over priced or have an undisclosed defect. Those that sell is a day or two are usually at the low end their price range. It's the SportMobile West used van page. The other 2 SportsMobile centers also have listings in the same format.

http://www.sportsmobile.com/z-PO_calif.html
Old 11-01-2010, 09:49 PM   #4

Some great vans on there- man, I haven't looked at the SMB PO listings for awhile... some Sprinters, a couple of Chevy's and a Dodge in there... good stuff.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Used SMB's with high prices may have features/options that you hadn't considered and don't want or need. Many of theses vans have new prices well over $100K, hence the high used prices.

Maybe you should build and price a new SMB and start from there. Then decide what you are willing to pay for a used van. Remember, asking price is just that. And it is a starting point for negotiations. Maybe the seller likes the van more than you do and won't come down to a price you will pay. Then you have to move on. If all used vans are priced higher than you are willing to pay, then you aren't going to buy one of them. Or you will have to change your willingness to pay more.

Mike
Mike, I started the thread to find out if my expectations of those of the sellers are unrealistic. If for an extra, say, $15,000 I can buy new and get exactly what I want, I would tend to do that. Also, even if I am saving more than that, if it means buying a old SMB, I would still have my doubts unless the savings are substantial.

It seems that most of the vans in which I might have an interest are sitting, to respond to Viejo's point, suggesting they are high. It may just be a matter of being patient.
diver110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:31 PM   #6

edited out by bw
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:03 PM   #7

I like to keep tabs on the value of my assets for insurance decisions and net worth calculations. I was planning on using Kelly Blue Book value for the van itself, but haven't come up with a good way to place a depreciated value on the RV convsersion. If I can scrape up enough data there may be a way to determine the average rate of depreciation for that portion of the personal property. In an attempt to keep things simple, I apply a 70% discount to the original value of personal property kept in my house...
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:14 PM   #8

Prior to buying my used van earlier this year, I kept a list of all the vans that came up and was able to track down the sales price on most. I am happy to share if you would like, just send me a PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:51 PM   #9
Site Team

I believe the prices of the used Sportsmobiles are high, but hopefully not inflated. Before the recession it was difficult to find a Sportsmobile for sale. There were only a few available and they cost a lot. Now, I'm sure due to tough economic times, there are quite a few Sportsmobiles on the market. The Sportsmobiles available are probably worth the asking price listed, but in today's market the prices may not appear to be as discounted as one might hope given the limited spending power of most consumers right now. But I can understand the current owner's desire to get what their vehicle is "worth" when selling it.

As to the high price, most Sportsmobile owners I know have added many accessories to their van after purchasing it new (or used). As for me, I got a great deal on a 2002 Sportsmobile and bought it in 2009 for $32,000. Since then I have, or will have, added another $10,000 to $12,000 in add-ons to the vehicle. Therefore, someone may think paying almost $45,000 for a 4X2 gas Sportsmobile is a high price if I sold mine, but that is what the van is worth. If I added Aluminess bumpers to my van the cost would be even higher. In other words, in my opinion my van becomes worth more the longer I have it because I keep improving it.

The real question one should ask is why anyone in their right mind would spend $75,000 to $120,000 for a van when they could get a Class B Motorhome for MUCH cheaper and can even buy a Class C or Class A mortorhome for less than a Sportsmobile? The answer is, of course, that Sportsmobile owners aren't like motorhome owners. We want to go places motorhomes can't go. And, as for me, I hope I never run into a motorhome owner when I'm out camping. The fact that there are very few Sportsmobile owners out there and that I am one of them has worth in itself!
Old 12-05-2010, 04:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire
The real question one should ask is why anyone in their right mind would spend $75,000 to $120,000 for a van when they could get a Class B Motorhome for MUCH cheaper and can even buy a Class C or Class A mortorhome for less than a Sportsmobile? The answer is, of course, that Sportsmobile owners aren't like motorhome owners. We want to go places motorhomes can't go. And, as for me, I hope I never run into a motorhome owner when I'm out camping. The fact that there are very few Sportsmobile owners out there and that I am one of them has worth in itself!
Regular Class A, B & C are pretty much limited to campgrounds and mild dirt roads

Mrs. Wilson, Cooper the Dog and myself want some solitude
Comes with our rig and where we can go

Are the prices inflated, no
As stated above, the add ons really drive up the price
A factory rig with all the upgrades/mods alot of us wind up with would easy reach $150,000

A used rig in decent shape, do your own mods/upgrades and you are under that price

I betcha alot of folks will hold a firm price on thier rigs, even if it cuts into spendable income
BECAUSE they know the value of 4 nites in the boonies
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote