Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2017, 06:27 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Gotta call you on this one.. this statement is wrong. There are a variety of excellent 4x4 conversions available.. several of which are better than SMB or Quigley.
No problem. I'm basing this on reports I have read from other people's experiences.

TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:28 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
... cargo van is far more preferable for the conversion due to structural strength.
This is not an accurate statement. Especially when SMB cuts large sections of the inner walls out of the van to fit their fine cabinetry. A passenger van has welded seams around the window openings whereas the cargo vans just have foam to keep the panels from rattling. I'd take my passenger van in a roll over any day over a SMB built rig.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:11 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
This is not an accurate statement. Especially when SMB cuts large sections of the inner walls out of the van to fit their fine cabinetry. A passenger van has welded seams around the window openings whereas the cargo vans just have foam to keep the panels from rattling. I'd take my passenger van in a roll over any day over a SMB built rig.
I am going by what SMB build managers have told me.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:15 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjappers View Post
Hi! I am new member here and am intertested in buying the ford classic smb thats is being developed now, and wanted to get some advice/opinions from current ford smb owners on what they thought of the classic version? I have done some research and the v10 gas engine is supposed to be really reliable.
is there any concerns with the new fiberglass shell? also seems like the price is high? thoughts?

thks
Stuart
Oh Boy.
Remember kiddos, this is sjappers' thread about the new econo rig smb is or isn't going to produce full on...
Respectfully cease and desist nit picking each other regarding Who's Hands are the Biggest.
Reset back to his initial query or battle this out on another designated thread, one or many of which already exist.
m.
EmMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:41 PM   #25

In that case, price is indeed high, but that is true for all new sportsmobiles.

I wouldn't think the Fiberglass shell should prove to be a problem. If anything, you wont have the joy of uncovering their work and seeing how they cut the holes in your van for the top!
bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:00 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
In that case, price is indeed high, but that is true for all new sportsmobiles.

I wouldn't think the Fiberglass shell should prove to be a problem. If anything, you wont have the joy of uncovering their work and seeing how they cut the holes in your van for the top!

I resemble that remark. The porcupine is also quite interesting.

I was once a starry eyed wantavan guy. Only way I figured a few things was to read my tail off in these threads. I wouldn't have even started if I didn't see Wonderboy's thread on popping his top and his home build. And there have been many kind folks along the way helping guide me right. Most are in this thread too.

My impression at SMB was that they are in full Sprinter/Transit mode but will surely do any E series that you bring to them. I only saw 2 of the Classics there and the showroom floor was void of E series save for the Saudi prototype in the back bay. Like any good business, they have to follow the trends and follow the money. There was probably 40+ Sprinters on their lot when I was there.

The other issue is if Ford will continue the cutaway. I am told they will but something about 2019 being the last year, but who knows?? I am seeing a ton of E350 ambulances on the road these days so that might keep it going along with the RV market as well.

The V10 6 Speed with Rear tank is a dream setup. From what I saw of the Classic, it will be very cool. One thing to consider is that SMB has a lot of problems solved when building up these vans and I think they would incorporate some design features that would make fit and finish of a build out much better and cleaner.

Price can be subjective. If you have the cash and want it, then the value is there for you. Right now there is high demand for Econoline SMB's so the prices are high. Best thing to do is understand your use and needs and wants. Folks here can help.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:04 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjappers View Post
is there any concerns with the new fiberglass shell?
Stuart
When I looked at it I did think it had more flex than I liked. It was fairly thick and the framing reinforcement was not in place yet. From what the build managers told me, one of the reasons for there being 3 years between the prototype and the production model was trying to solve problems with water tightness.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:29 PM   #28
Site Team

Garage
I've been a beta tester on a few of SMB options. I always suggest seeing how anything new is tested by time. That said my thoughts on my 2006 SMB purchase was that problems happen (like in any RV) and SMB is an hour away. As far as the 4x4 build SMB does on the Ford van, it drives & handles great but in 2006 I replaced the springs with Deaver's. Huge improvement on rough terrain but SMB has made changes (improvements) since then and I haven't heard of major complaints with the new springs and shocks. The components they use are above average and the turning radius is great. Its got an Pro Rock 60 front axle and an atlas transfer case as some of the others builders may or may not incorporate. On the bad side of non-Ford equipment used on the drive train, parts availability and warranty service might be an issue in some circumstances.

I've been through the SMB cutaway and it looks great, is slightly larger inside, but have no idea how it's going to hold up to body flex. Who knows it might actually be better... hard to say.

With as busy as SMB is, I'd want to make sure they will take on a used vehicle cab conversion before buying an older van if you plan to go that way.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote