Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2016, 08:18 AM   #1

What do you use your Aluminess ladder for?

Just curious what everyone uses their ladders for. Do you use it to access a roof box, hang a grill/stove on it, just for looks, access to stand/sit on your roof?

I currently have a ladder on the back of my SMB and never use it. We have a decent amount of storage inside so we don't typically have a roof box on top even though I do have roof racks.

Just curious to see what everyone's uses for their ladders are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-19-2016, 08:52 AM   #2

Access to clean solar panels, get MaxTrax if needed, and eventually, once I get around to it, my stove mount.

I would not consider it an essential accessory.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:24 AM   #3

Garage
Uh, I guess I use it for it's intended purpose, to get on the roof. Well I have used it to dry out a wet pair of socks......
Old 05-19-2016, 09:40 AM   #4

Yea, I can see how it might seem like a weird question but I guess I was trying to gauge its usefulness. $400 seems like a lot for a drying rack. Do you use it every time you camp, do you use it once a year, somewhere in the middle of that? To Rally's point how essential is it? Also, just curious to hear about unique uses for it that I may have not thought of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2016, 11:19 AM   #5

Definitely used for accessing the roof rack (skis, basket, Treds, tables, etc) and checking/clearing the solar panels. I know some, and I would like to do the same, have created BBQ mounts, or table mounts that go over the rungs. It does also, become a handy area for hanging/attaching things.

If you are doing/storing anything on the roof, a ladder (or two) is a necessity in my book. If nothing up there, then not much else would justify the investment. I personally think the roof is an awesome storage space helping to keep non-interior living items out of the prime real estate of the cabin.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:39 PM   #6

Use ours to get at the solar panels so I can clean them. Try to do it daily.
Yes have used it to dry socks, towels, etc on. Also have hung a Sun Shower on it for kids to clean up at rather then always coming inside.

Did not pay $400 for it. Make my own out of 3/4" electrical conduit for less than $75 I think

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 02:34 PM   #7

I have a question for those that have the passenger side ladder. If you have to parallel park in the street (something I do every day), have you ever found someone climbing it or messing with it? For that reason alone, I've been thinking about getting a drivers side ladder instead of passenger side.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
If you have to parallel park in the street (something I do every day), have you ever found someone climbing it or messing with it?
Nope......
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:15 PM   #9

I didn't think I'd use one very much, but RPA had a used one so I bought it. Since then, I've used it more than I thought I would. Aside from regular cleaning of my solar panels I used it a lot when fabricating my new solar panel rack, and to access the roof to watch races from up top. Additionally, I have a large shade tarp I tie to the rack, and use the ladder to access the tiedown points. Finally, I once wedged a tree branch into my old rack and used the ladder to access and remove it. I'd say it's been a very useful accessory. I've also got plans for an exo-skeleton of sorts and will use the ladder to tie in the tubing running to the rear of the van.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 04:28 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage
Got em on both sides. I've had both kids and adults jump and climb on them w/o asking (or even knowing) me. Had a lexan plate locked to the bottom section for a while to keep people off.
They catch limbs every now & then but they're tough. Sometimes rock outcroppings come close but I haven't had to remove them to get through a narrow section of trail. With the Yakima storage on top it's the only way to get there. I also store my Max-trax on the side. For a while I was using a cargo bag to haul stuff on top and the driver side ladder was useful but now with the pod (and how it hinges open) I rarely use the driver side ladder anymore. As mentioned they do make a nice tie point for tarps and what not.
Attached Thumbnails
ladder_edited-1.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote