Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2015, 12:22 AM   #21

Re: What does SMB build their cabinets out of now?

Very useful tutorial! Thank you!

One question: If you've laminated over melamine, how have you prepped it. Based on various prep instructions I've read (for re-facing, etc.), there are always notes indicating that melamine is a "special case." Maybe applying more to paint or PSA than contact cement - not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
I'm still hoping to find out what material/sheet goods SMB uses for their cabinets. I want to totally rebuild, not just reface. Anybody know?
1997/Indiana used MDF (at least on the gaucho base, which I cut into for an outlet) (but I have no reason to believe the other cabinets were made with anything different). In my mind's eye, I'd say the gaucho base material was 1/2" Definitely was not 3/4, but it's possible it was slightly more/less than 1/2" (I could measure it tomorrow).

Hmm, maybe you meant what material they use now, so you could buy some from them? If so, never mind 1997

Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:34 AM   #22

Yes, looking for what they use now. It is 1/2", but it's deceiving because the edge molding is wider, making it seem like 3/4" at first glance.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:48 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva
Very useful tutorial! Thank you!

One question: If you've laminated over melamine, how have you prepped it. Based on various prep instructions I've read (for re-facing, etc.), there are always notes indicating that melamine is a "special case." Maybe applying more to paint or PSA than contact cement - not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
I'm still hoping to find out what material/sheet goods SMB uses for their cabinets. I want to totally rebuild, not just reface. Anybody know?
1997/Indiana used MDF (at least on the gaucho base, which I cut into for an outlet) (but I have no reason to believe the other cabinets were made with anything different). In my mind's eye, I'd say the gaucho base material was 1/2" Definitely was not 3/4, but it's possible it was slightly more/less than 1/2" (I could measure it tomorrow).

Hmm, maybe you meant what material they use now, so you could buy

some from them? If so, never mind 1997
I have not laminated over melamine (that I can remember anyway...), but as a first attempt I would rough-up the surface with some sandpaper and proceed as above.

BrianW: Nick's panel appears to be built as you described....the T Molding is wider than the panel and has a small lip that hangs over the edge of the panel.

I'm not sure what the attraction is to the SMB material........If I were building/re-building and using laminte I would use a high quality plywood (as I am doing presently). I have noticed that at my local supplier the "import birch" is significantly lighter than Baltic Birch, although they only sell the import stuff in 3/4". The import stuff also does not machine as cleanly as BB but it has lots of plys and is cabinet grade.

The local supplier also sells ultralight MDF if that's your thing......I imagine that you can find this in PA.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:02 AM   #24

I've looked at prefinished cabinet grade oak plywood, which is an option. Even got some samples in the mail. It's nice stuff, finished with an almost epoxy-like coating on both faces, which would likely hold up well in the SMB.

There's nothing really wrong with my cabinets, just the perfectionist in me would like them made out of nicer materials. I'd mostly just use the existing ones as templates and cut using a router. I'd probably tweak my big rear cabinets and change them from an open cabinet with shelves to almost like a chest of drawers.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:29 PM   #25

Appleply also has pre-finished panels available. Nice stuff.

On plies: I have some of the 1/2" Appleply and it is amazingly rigid compared to the "one ply" (I say that in jest, but just barely) 1/2" plywood you typically find at Home Depot, etc. The Baltic birch type also has more plies, but so far none of the Home Depots or Lowe's I have been in carry it - darnit!

Any cabinetry I replace would likely be with the pre-finished Appleply, but I have a few I don't want to remove/replace, so on those I'm looking into PSA/refacing, hence wondering about the melamine prep. Even though they advise against it, my guess is that if it's in solid condition and roughed up (100 grit?) it would likely work. I'd test though. (Unless someone else has a definitive experience to report.)
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:06 PM   #26

My local supplier also has prefinished sheets in various species like cherry, maple, etc. It's worth checking around. If you are willing to apply veneer, the sky (and your wallet) is the limit.

Forget the big box stores, I don't waste time looking for plywood there.....it's pointless.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:58 PM   #27

This thread has wandered over a lot of cabinet topics. I have a 95 and the cabinets are heavy MDF with T edge molding. The material is great because it doesn't warp and is very sound dead. It is crap because if it is exposed to water (bottoms of cabinets, bottoms of doors with overhanging T molding), it expands and blows up.
I had asked fresno if they could build out of good plywood since it is much lighter, and their comment was that it might save 100#, but it would be more expensive...maybe now they use a better MDF, but I doubt it.
After having various parts expand, the bottom of the gaucho front, for instance, it was removed, clamped and exposed bottom epoxy coated, so that a future leaky water fitting wouldn't do the same thing again...
If I were doing cabinets, as stated earlier, it would be out of a plywood for weight and water resistance reasons. Lots of labor, and the material cost isn't much and prefinished ply both sides is available.
Cheers
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:51 PM   #28

Sportsmobile is currently using ArmorCore cabinetry. A change was made during the 2008 production year from MDF to the ArmorCore product. Feedback has been very positive on how well it holds up to vibration and water exposure.

Cheers!

Jonny
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:56 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny
Sportsmobile is currently using ArmorCore cabinetry. A change was made during the 2008 production year from MDF to the ArmorCore product. Feedback has been very positive on how well it holds up to vibration and water exposure.

Cheers!

Jonny
Jonny! Thanks! I finally got an answer to my original question

EDIT: just Googled it: the ArmorCore I'm seeing is mainly used in bulletproofing applications. Is that the correct name?
Old 03-10-2015, 01:59 PM   #30
Site Team

Garage

http://www.appleply.com/pdfs/specsheets ... insert.pdf

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote