Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2007, 07:23 PM   #1

What if you are not handy..How old is too old?

Sorry to pump the forum with so many messages at once, but I just found an older SMB I might have an interest in buying.

Two questions:

This is a 1998, older than I would have preferred, but equipped the way I want it. Might be a good starter SMB. I will get it checked out, and I have a farily good understanding of what wears out in terms of the mechanics, but anything special to worry about?

Also, my goal in life is to never lift a finger when it comes to manual labor. I don't quite attain that goal, but I am far from handy. Can I own an SMB and hire out repairs without being a Rockefeller?

diver110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:39 PM   #2

That depends way more on where you live than the SMB. You're going to need to find somebody (a shop, a buddy, an RV repair place) that will tinker with things outside their box.

In "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" the author talks about the kind of people who want to do the same thing over and over and over, and the other kind who want to do something different every time (new challenge, different approach). I'd say you need to find the latter and you're golden.

Where and how you do that, I have no idea!
Old 10-24-2007, 07:51 PM   #3

Where and how you do that, I have no idea![/quote]

A very Zen answer... and thanks!
Old 10-24-2007, 10:52 PM   #4

Garage
Perhaps a Sportsmobile is not for you. You may be remotely located and have to deal with simple fixes. What's the most sophisticated tool you are able to operate? A bit higher level than a screwdriver, I hope!

But the most important question is... How much money do you have?
Old 10-25-2007, 10:31 AM   #5

[quote="Jeffrey"]Perhaps a Sportsmobile is not for you. You may be remotely located and have to deal with simple fixes. What's the most sophisticated tool you are able to operate? A bit higher level than a screwdriver, I hope!

Not much I am afraid. Sounds like I may have to learn to be more handy, contrary to my natural instincts. Could be a long learning curve.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:11 PM   #6

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
What is the mileage? Generally, less than 80k miles will have minimal problems.

What is the make? Any 90's or newer GM/Ford/Dodge will have modern engines and transmissions much better than the carberated ones in the 80's

Buying price is key here...If you get a fair deal, you can then sell it for a new one easily.
-----------

For a different perspective, I bought mine for $46,000 less than a new one. Even if I spent another $10,000 in replacing engine, trans, suspension and repainting, I'm still ahead $36,000!

Sportsmobile carpet, foam and upholstery held up great in my 95. Does not look/feel like a 12 year old camper. Everything works great including the AC. I only need some body work to make it look great

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote