Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #21

Re: What makes a Sportsmobile?

I hate to say this but some day someone with a Nissan, Sportsmobile or otherwise will be wanting to join the forum..
Like them or not Sportsmobile is converting them. Personally I love the current Econolines and I wish Ford would sell both the old and new vans for a few years, although the current model needs to be modernized at least for features, engines and such. A Sprinter would be on my short list if they could tow more and could have four wheel drive with German parts or from the factory. I just think the Nissan is just too unattractive to have to look at everyday in my driveway no matter how good they might be otherwise. I agree with Gnarvan its better with the low roof and the penthouse top but its still not for me.

2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #22
Site Team

Re: What makes a Sportsmobile?

Seems to me only vehicles made at Ford factories can be called Fords, and only vehicles made at the Rolls-Royce factory can be called a Rolls-Royce; therefore only a vehicle custom built at one of the three SMB locations can be called a Sportsmobile. All others are look-alikes, copies, wanna-be, or something else.

Now the question remains, "How much custom work has to be done at a SMB shop for a vehicle to be called a Sportsmobile?" Obviously there are SMB's without a penthouse top and they are still a Sportsmobile. If one has a custom shelve put into their van at a SMB shop, does that now make the van a SMB?

I believe this is a question that will have to be left up to the Supreme Court to decide at what point life begins for a Sportsmobile.

As for me, I like the Sportsmobile Forum idea of including anyone who wants to be included, regardless of what rig they drive.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #23

What makes a Sportsmobile?

A sprinter would be on my short list if they cost about 20k less.
I like to think of my home build, which will be a Colorado Camper Van pop top in about a week, as a Sportsmobile, but I do agree that I'm only using the term loosely, not to make my van something it's not. The long and short of it is that we need a good name for these strange camper vans we build or have built. Sportsmobile fits, and sounds a lot better than the hokey term 'camper van' IMO. Kind of like saying Coke to cover all soft drinks, as we do here in the South.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote