Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2018, 10:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
I know you were asking only for options from Ford at this point, but I hope you don't mind if I ask one question related to the upfitter build-out. You said 3 people. For some reason I was thinking you had said 4 in some other posts. My memory is getting a bit fuzzy these days though. How tall is this third person? Just curious 'cause it might help in planning how to configure the interior.

Even though this won't wind up being a rock crawler, I agree with others who are suggesting limited-slip. All the 4x4 and lift you can get will make it better than 2x4 with no lift and open differential.
Heya Tom

Just the three of us.... SMW came up with a great layout - a 24" transverse rear bunk above the "garage" right behind the sofa (that folds down to a longways bed) ... but the 24" transverse rear bunk would have a long beefy piano hinge on it, and folds out to a 48" bunk (above the feet of the 2 people sleeping below)

550 lb capacity.

that way a taller than 5'9" person could sleep at a bit of an angle to get more space. Good solution for us. Our kid will be tall i bet.

thanks.

John

LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:43 AM   #12

Garage
I have the short tow mirrors and love them. The 3.5 is an animal but the 3.31 gears is kind of annoying so id go 3.73 and definitely get the limited slip. Definitely get the tow package and upfitter switches. I have the cloth seats and love them but I could see the vinyl having its advantages. I would skip the driver alert lane assist unless you want it so you can text and drive, mine is always off now because it didn't do anything but annoy me. And really if your driving the way you should it doesn't do anything anyway.

I cant think of anything else other than it's an awesome vehicle and you'll be glad ford made the swap once you drive it.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:31 AM   #13

thanks for the good thoughts.

(you) the 3.31 gears is kind of annoying so id go 3.73

How is the 3.31 annoying? I was leaning towards the 3.31 - so it was quieter cruising on the hyway. We'd be doing mostly that.

thanks

john

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
I have the short tow mirrors and love them. The 3.5 is an animal but the 3.31 gears is kind of annoying so id go 3.73 and definitely get the limited slip. Definitely get the tow package and upfitter switches. I have the cloth seats and love them but I could see the vinyl having its advantages. I would skip the driver alert lane assist unless you want it so you can text and drive, mine is always off now because it didn't do anything but annoy me. And really if your driving the way you should it doesn't do anything anyway.

I cant think of anything else other than it's an awesome vehicle and you'll be glad ford made the swap once you drive it.
LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:44 AM   #14

Garage
I think they are annoying because i feel like the trans and axle arent on the same page. I constantly feel like I'm having to force the van to downshift to climb any sort of grade or get out of just lugging along.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngeles View Post
SMB-W came up with a great layout - a 24" transverse rear bunk above the "garage" right behind the sofa (that folds down to a longways bed) ... but the 24" transverse rear bunk would have a long beefy piano hinge on it, and folds out to a 48" bunk (above the feet of the 2 people sleeping below)

550 lb capacity.

that way a taller than 5'9" person could sleep at a bit of an angle to get more space.
Owwww....I can't wait to see that. Sounds cool!
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:13 AM   #16

Check with SMB, but I think they probably want the Modified Vehicle Wiring System. This way they won't have to splice into any circuits.

They are now offering a "push-down" parking brake, to accommodate a driver-side swivel.

Even though you won't be towing, including the trailer brake controller might help make it easier to sell later. It's a low-cost option, and it looks like you can't add the factory TBC later. The option page notes it post-install TBCs must be aftermarket.

Aux Fuel kit will let you run a Espar or similar fuel-fired appliance.

I'd go with short-arm mirrors. Long-arm mirrors, when you aren't working, are annoying because your field of vision isn't parallel with with sides of the van, unless you adjust them out but then you can't see the rear corners. Sure would be nice if they just used F-series mirrors.... Plus mirror slap is the real problem if you're driving through downtown areas, since the Transit mirrors will be at about the same height as every delivery truck parked halfway into your lane.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:28 AM   #17

My build sheet

John,

Not sure if you placed your order yet or not so hope this is not too late

Here is the build sheet for the 2018 I just ordered for SMB Austin to do the build. Few thing they suggested as part of it...

1 - Make sure you get the manual pushdown parking brake if you want to the drivers swivel
2 - Heavy Duty alternator...will charge the house batteries in only a few hours while driving
3 - I was going to order dual batteries but they said unless I want to run a bunch of stuff while driving I didn't need that. Everything will run off of the house batteries. So I ordered the single AGM
4 - Re: upfitter switches, it depends if you are going to add a bunch of lights, winches, etc. SMB said they could mount a switch or two if needed for a few lights without any problem. I went without because it looked like we might keep hitting the switches going front to back
5 - 3.73 LSD - absolutely a must. Snow, dirt roads, mud...all the places you will encounter

Rest is pretty much preferences.
1 - I was going to go with the long mirrors but realized on my truck I am always folding them in when I park. The power fold short mirrors will be soooo much easier.
2 - We wanted lots of windows so it seemed cheaper to do windows all around and pay to replace 1 or 2 of them vs the price to install 5. But check with SMB as North said they wouldn't touch windows all around but Austin said no problem and suggested it based on this window cost discussion

BTW Matt Ford was great to work with (so far...build date is Aug)

Good luck
- Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3597.jpg  
Colorado_Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote