Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2018, 10:45 PM   #1

Question What options? Ford build to order 2019 Transit

What options? Ford build to order 2019 Transit

Hi all

Hoping to get a new 2019 Transit 350 EXT cargo van (22’) with 3.5 EcoBoost engine, and will (likely) have Sportsmobile Fresno do the “build in”.

We need seating and sleeping for 3 people. Sportsmobile Fresno will install the crash tested captains chair behind driver.

I’ll check with Sportsmobile Fresno, of course, but so I can get a accurate price on the van …. can people post what they think are good options to get on the van? We’ll order it from Ford - build to order.

The buying guide for 2019 is here:

Transit Customers Pay Less at Matt Ford

and also more info here
http://www.mattford.com/public/image...rder-guide.pdf

OK I’ll start with what we aim to get, plus some options.

High Roof
Reverse Sensing System
Trailer Tow
2 additional key option
10 Way Power Heated Seats
Lane Keep Alert with Driver Alert (41C)
Cruise Control (60C)

no extra windows (will be added)

MAYBE:
Rear Air in Van Option (engine has to be running, i know)

DO I NEED THESE?
High Capacity Upfitter Switches (on front console)
Overhead Storage
QUESTIONS
Do we get black cloth (21R) or black leather (21S) seats?

For Axles - 3.31 is Standard.

should get get 3.31 (standard) or any of the optional:
3.31 Limited Slip
3.73 Limited Slip

Do I stick with the standard 16” steel wheels? I dont care much about looks)

Do we get Power Long Ar, Heated/ Signal Exterior Mirrors (544) ?
No, we do not plan on towing hardly ever.

thanks

John

LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 01:58 AM   #2

Gears will depend on how you plan using, mostly hwy, city, loaded heavy, mtns, etc...
As for the other options, consider resale value and current convince .
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:32 AM   #3
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
What options? Ford build to order 2019 Transit

...cloth seats
Some of your options depend on what you plan for your build and may not be compatible, check with SMB on items on your list.
I think there were several when our friends (Yelnam) were optioning out their Transit build, I’ll try to get him to chime in here.
No 4X4? I’d go with one of the limited slips then.
Pop top? Consider roof height
Back to seats-that 10 way power heated may not be compatible with adding a swivel base.

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
SMB RB50 w/CCV top
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile RIP kit
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:51 AM   #4

I have come to love the vinyl/leatherette seats in my Transit. I looked for one with cloth but am happy with what I found. I definitely recommend a power driver's only and manual passenger for ease of adding/using a swivel seat on the passenger side. The E-brake is in the way on the driver's side so I wouldn't bother with it. There's not that much room for dual swivels anyway.

I would recommend the upfitter switches because there isn't much room to add switches anywhere else on the Transit dash. I'm not sure what I'm going to do for additional light switches because I don't have them.

I would recommend the 3:73 LSD. I had the 3:31 and switched. The engine seems to always be in it's sweet spot with the 3:73. Limited slip is kind of a no-brainer to me on an RV/adventure van.

I do NOT recommend the big-ear extended mirrors. Many people I know have destroyed them. They are very wide. The regular mirrors offer a fantastic view even with a trailer. I would get them heated with turn signals though.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso View Post
Gears will depend on how you plan using, mostly hwy, city, loaded heavy, mtns, etc...
As for the other options, consider resale value and current convince .
Thanks

we plan on medium to medium heavy loaded.

I'tll be a full build inside

mostly hwy, and some mountains for sure....

How does 3:73 LSD fit into that?

thanks.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
...cloth seats
Some of your options depend on what you plan for your build and may not be compatible, check with SMB on items on your list.
I think there were several when our friends (Yelnam) were optioning out their Transit build, I’ll try to get him to chime in here.
No 4X4? I’d go with one of the limited slips then.
Pop top? Consider roof height
Back to seats-that 10 way power heated may not be compatible with adding a swivel base.
Thanks much - great info.

No 4x4 to start, but QuadVan will do it on a new or used Transit. I checked. Not sure if the $14,000 is worth it for us at the moment. Off Roading would be almost all decent BLM roads.

High Roof.

(you) that 10 way power heated may not be compatible with adding a swivel base.

Thanks - i would have not thought of that.

According to SMW the driver seat likely can't swivel due to parking brake handle... but they were not 100% sure on that.

Anyone have a recent Transit that can have driver swivel?

thanks. John
Old 06-03-2018, 09:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I have come to love the vinyl/leatherette seats in my Transit. I looked for one with cloth but am happy with what I found. I definitely recommend a power driver's only and manual passenger for ease of adding/using a swivel seat on the passenger side. The E-brake is in the way on the driver's side so I wouldn't bother with it. There's not that much room for dual swivels anyway.

I would recommend the upfitter switches because there isn't much room to add switches anywhere else on the Transit dash. I'm not sure what I'm going to do for additional light switches because I don't have them.

I would recommend the 3:73 LSD. I had the 3:31 and switched. The engine seems to always be in it's sweet spot with the 3:73. Limited slip is kind of a no-brainer to me on an RV/adventure van.

I do NOT recommend the big-ear extended mirrors. Many people I know have destroyed them. They are very wide. The regular mirrors offer a fantastic view even with a trailer. I would get them heated with turn signals though.

Thanks much Eric - all great info.

Much appreciated.

john
Old 06-03-2018, 04:24 PM   #8

Driver swivel can be done, many on the Transit forum have done it, but it’s more difficult. You have to work around the E-brake. Some swivel makers have a kit for this but it’s more trouble than it’s worth imo.

Limited slip will not impede regular on road driving. I would get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:51 PM   #9

I know you were asking only for options from Ford at this point, but I hope you don't mind if I ask one question related to the upfitter build-out. You said 3 people. For some reason I was thinking you had said 4 in some other posts. My memory is getting a bit fuzzy these days though. How tall is this third person? Just curious 'cause it might help in planning how to configure the interior.

Even though this won't wind up being a rock crawler, I agree with others who are suggesting limited-slip. All the 4x4 and lift you can get will make it better than 2x4 with no lift and open differential.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:10 PM   #10

LSD for sure as well as the upfitter switches. Usually those are fairly low cost options that deliver a ton of value.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote