Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #61

Re: What went wrong?

Still keeping a close eye on penthouse threads here. Just happened to take these photos of a new development noticed on my 2010 SMB West penthouse scissor bars. It appears that the roof is sitting too low to clear the springs and they are rubbing up against the scissor bars. Seems like it's just chipped paint at the moment. Don't like the thought of the added stress on the system. There's a lot of play in the j-bolt secured roof system - allowing for increased vibration, side to side and front to back stresses. I've looked at the bolts in place (not the greatest vantage point) and can't see any wear or malformation.

Other gripes. Seems like the roof is a little loosey goosey when in the up position. So glad to have four legs under it, but wind could be a problem since there's no diagonal support. Ditto someone else's unhappiness with "water resistant" canvas vice a lightweight waterproof shell with insulating liner tough enough to withstand this type of use. Maybe gortex? Oh, and yes it takes a special touch to get the roof down straight into the gutters. I have to pull it toward the front and over to the passenger side just right (not too much not too little). Even then, it doesn't sit centered over the protective tape lines. This probably puts additional stress on the bolts since it's an indication of misalignment (ever so slight - the spring bracket mounts wouldn't have to be far off to cause this (I'm guessing 1/8 inch would do it). Looks like the roof is a tad bigger then SMB planned on...

Attached Thumbnails
Penthouse Scissor Lift Bars (driver side).JPG   Penthouse Scissor Lift Bars (passenger side).JPG  

joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote