Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2015, 10:23 AM   #21

Re: What's THAT?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKCSUN
Going to be tough to let it go when the time comes.
Espar makes gasoline versions, only SMB won't install them because of the liability. So you may not have to completely give it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Here's another view

Easy to pack your gear. Unpacking? Not so much.
I'm pretty sure it's pretty easy, you just reverse the hydraulics, maybe tip the bin and you're unpacked in seconds.
The more I read about it, the more I like the ATW Fuso thing. As our next vehicle I mean. Right now, our SMB is a weekend warrior vehicle and maybe a week long trip. Our next vehicle will be a little longer trip-oriented rig and Fuso might fit the bill. Just need to know how "conservative" they are with the inside height dimension specs. Being able to add the diesel appliances (furnace, cook top and water heater) is a big plus.

Those Fuso Canter engines and chassis are world proven if nothing else. Every garbage truck and delivery vehicle abroad runs them it seems.

I know that the shower configuration on it is pure genius.

DUKCSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:47 PM   #22

Also has the turning radius of a john deere. Three feet shorter than the short wheelbase Sprinter.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:15 PM   #23
Site Team

Garage

The inside of the ATW actually feels smaller to me compared to my EB-50 but a bit larger than a walk through SMB. There is no PH bed IIRC although the main bed is quite large. The front table converts into a small bed though. I think the construction is nicely done... more like what you find in boats. I just don't like that it's a 1 model only vehicle as far as I know. For me I rather ditch the dining area for something else or make some other changes.

It's funny seeing one next to my SMB. The size is fooling. They are not as large as they look and are made to fit in a standard cargo shipping container. Engine wise, until they come out with a low range transfer case I'd be reluctant to own one as they lack power from what I've been told.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:03 PM   #24

Yeah, the power issue is a real concern, then again I can't hardly tow an inflatable raft behind my PowerStuck so its not that we are spoiled. As far as low end, I watched a video of the Fuso ambling up a pretty serious steep, bumpy and semi-technical grade (as technical as anything we would want) and it looked impressive.

Our goals with the next vehicle will be different and will want longer trips. The main knock against the SMB is storage and the ATW has that covered in spades it appears. The other knock is the PH bed is uncomfortable, let's face it. To go out for a month of fishing or hunting in the SMB is a non-starter unless you either pile crap on the top or tow something and our rig barely tows anything. Much less up a hill.

The first thing I would do with the ATW is I would send aluminess the dimensions of the spare tire and have them weld me up a round "box" that is the same size as a spare and use that area for recovery gear storage. Since we won't be taking it to the African veldt or pan america, we don't need 2 spares and it would make sense to use that space for gear.

I also would want a microwave/convection. That is a big miss.

The double awnings, which appear to be mounted MUCH better than say the SMB awning attachments is a plus. We wisely opted out of the awning on our rig but having two of them is pretty nice.

It would be nice if the crew cab version offered a better "walk through" which might expand the livable space ala EarthRoamer.

Does anyone own one the these things yet?
Old 05-19-2015, 08:09 PM   #25
Site Team

Garage

They have sold a couple here in the US. I really like the amount of water they hold and the black/gray tanks are also allow you to stay on the road longer. They also can draft and purify stream water I was told. For 2 people the ATW would be a great choice. I would just want to make a change to the head. It's kind of cramped for this fat boy. 300K+ is kind of pricy though.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:44 PM   #26

Yeah everything is cramped for me but as long as its tall enough I'm OK. An inside shower is a pretty nice thing. Three bills is serious coin and I have my doubts around SMBs ability to perform a flawless, top notch, land yacht-worthy install to be honest.

Don't get me wrong, we LOVE our van but man every time I turn around I find another thing that was jury-rigged together in the production phase. IF you saw the wiring, you would shake your head. It has worked, so I can't claim otherwise but it looks truly larry'd together.

For $300k they would have to truly impress me before I laid out that coin. Clearly some of the other builders get that reality, it might be a stretch for SMB.

I don't fit in an ER, unless its their latest "HD" version and I don't have a cool mil sitting around so, ATW it may be.....

Exped Vehicles will get a look also .
Old 06-10-2015, 12:48 PM   #27

Bumping this to the top in an effort to find ANYONE that might know someone that has one of these?

Does anyone know if they have sold any units here in the US? Tried other forums as well with no luck. Maybe the owners are too busy on their various adventures to bother with a forum?

HA. We should all be so lucky.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:59 PM   #28

Quote:
Bumping this to the top in an effort to find ANYONE that might know someone that has one of these?
I thought they only built a couple as a demo units, to gauge interest?
Old 06-10-2015, 01:34 PM   #29

If you are near Denver:

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5047350042.html
Old 06-10-2015, 02:19 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Quote:
I thought they only built a couple as a demo units, to gauge interest?
Well, they have been toting them around and holding them out "for sale" so I get the impression they are past the demo phase....

But based on the lack of owners (at least that I can find here in the US) you may be right. We shall see. I just find it helpful to speak with owners if you can find them.

I haven' t even heard of anyone seeing one of these and the SMB Force is pretty wide and covers a lot of territory. So who knows.

1der - Thanks for posting that. Interesting rig for sure. That wiring panel picture sure is......well......let's just say I'm not sure I would have included that in the marketing blitz......

Ha.