Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2015, 06:16 PM   #1

Where can we weigh our SMB?

Our Ford Transit is still being converted at SMB North, but we are getting curious how much it will weigh with all the equipment and fixtures installed.

Is there anyplace with a vehicle scale that will allow folks to weigh a vehicle like this? I'm pretty sure the weigh stations on the highway would not - maybe at our local dump? Ours weighs you going in and out, to charge for how much you dump.

Any ideas appreciated!

jmkoskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:26 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Where can we weigh our SMB?

Plenty of truck scales around that will weigh your rig for a small fee. For a !little extra they can usually provide a front / back weight, or even a weight at each corner.

Herb
Old 07-06-2015, 06:41 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

We have scales all over the place that weigh farm products. Another spot you can look for are places that do heavy equipment repair. Some shops will do it for free.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:58 PM   #4

This may not help you in California, but depending on where you travel, some states allow the public to use public scales for free when they are not open (i.e. not open actively for commercial trucks). Two states where this is true are Oregon and Washington (yay them!).

Essentially, the scale will be left on, and you can pull in and weigh. This is my favorite way to do it, as there is usually no-one there, and I can take my time, weigh the whole rig, then the right side, then even individual wheels (depending on how the verge is set up). I've also unhitched my trailer and so weighed tongue weight, etc. No rush, ahhhh.

Oftentimes in Oregon the numbers will read out on a tall post out ahead of you - very convenient as you can easily read them from the driver's seat. These are many times scales on "side highways."

In Washington I have found that there is often a weigh hut, and the scale numbers read out in the window (so you walk up to the window but stay outside and you can read it in through the glass).

I don't know if any other states are like this, but it sure is handy! And seems "right" to me for a public scale.

I have also weighed at CAT scales, and it's not so much that I mind paying, but oftentimes there is a big line of trucks, the call button is like 200 miles in the air, etc. No way you're going to putter around weighing individual wheels, etc.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:13 PM   #5

One concern on some truck scales in CA:

Our vans can be commercially or personally registered, and if personal, you have to say you'll never have a weight over XXX. If you are overweight, you have to pay the higher commercial registration fee, and if you get weighed on some scales, it is automatically sent to the DMV. Or so I've heard.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:26 PM   #6

Dumps or places that take scrap metal deliveries are a good bet. I've done this a couple of times (with various vehicles) and tried to have both $20 and a six pack on hand, but never needed them.

Many times closed weigh stations will leave the scales on. I'm not sure I'd pull into the really big ones, since they have huge "do not stop" signs on them in that state.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:00 PM   #7

I went to the local dump to pick up some free recycled paint. I didn't know where the paint was though so I pulled up on to the scale, as if I was going to actually dump stuff off, and asked the attendant where the paint was. Big LED display in the attendant's booth window told me my weight. Got a free weighing and free paint all in one trip.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:31 AM   #8

My local landscape materials place has a scale, for $5 they gave me some weights. Aluminum and other recycling places have similar scales, but front-rear-corner weights are usually impossible as they are more like a bridge instead of on flat ground. Basically anywhere you either come in with material and leave empty or vice versa.

But the best place is Oregon, they have full scales beside the highways all over the place. I got front back and corners for free, didn't have to run in to a truckstop cashier repeatedly and it was free. Did I mention free? Actually the best part was that I could take my time and weigh all the corners with no pressure. I wish it was worth going to Oregon for something else...
Old 07-07-2015, 09:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
I wish it was worth going to Oregon for something else...
Well let me think, there is the coast, cascade mountains, Alvord Desert, Steens Mountains, Block 15 brewery in Corvallis, waterfalls, Columbia Gorge, Painted Desert, crack in the ground, hole in the ground, Rouge River and many other places.
larrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
I wish it was worth going to Oregon for something else...
Well you missed out on last week's mass marijuana giveaway!

http://www.oregonlive.com/entertainm...he_people.html