Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2016, 02:27 PM   #11

What a bummer. If they total it, you will have first right of refusal to buy it back at salvage value. Unless the frame is bent, it's still a good van, just a little ugly. You could drive it as is, or get it fixed. Best of luck...

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 03:02 PM   #12

Garage
Unreal. Sorry to hear that this happened!

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:49 PM   #13

Thanks to All. I appreciate the support.

Luckily, the van has limited modifications from stock. Most notable would be the wheels, tires, and Weldtec lift that was installed a few weeks ago. Otherwise, I had some sweet pinstriping but that's about it. I don't know how insurance would factor those items into the equation. My suspicion is that they'd avoid doing so completely if possible.

Anyhow, I stopped into the auto body/repair shop today. It's a reputable, quality place that we've done business with before. The initial estimate was for ~$8700, which I was told is near the 90th percentile of value for a van like mine. It was suggested that the insurance company would be more likely to approve repair, rather than declaring it a total loss, if the initial estimate was for less.

The shop suggested that we discuss options for repair to reduce the cost before submitting the initial estimate to insurance. This could include seeking other than new OEM equipment for repair, like junkyard parts, etc. I'll be having another conversation with them after work today to hash out a plan.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
Very curious how insurance handles this, as I am about to explain to them why my van I bought for $7k is about to be worth 5 times that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Purchase price is irrelevant. Replacement cost is what counts.

EDIT: but as you have a 'home build' you will need to talk to your insurance company (and maybe others) about a stated value policy. For a SMB, there are comps insurance companies can use to determine value. For home build, not so much.
If anybody reading this has a stated value or actual value (those two are quite different) policy on a home build in California please let us know.....

I have a 2008 van, 95K miles, advanced 4WD conversion with a home brew build-out and a pop top. Presently insured with State Farm for the Value of the van plus $27K in optional coverage. I am quite certain that if it gets stolen or totalled I will see a small fraction of that $27K........and I'm paying more for this coverage (even as a second vehicle) than most folks are paying to insure an $80K SMB.

I called Justin from the insurance thread last year about a stated value policy from Safeco (and anyone else) no-go since it's a home build....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
If anybody reading this has a stated value or actual value (those two are quite different) policy on a home build in California please let us know.....

I have a 2008 van, 95K miles, advanced 4WD conversion with a home brew build-out and a pop top. Presently insured with State Farm for the Value of the van plus $27K in optional coverage. I am quite certain that if it gets stolen or totalled I will see a small fraction of that $27K........and I'm paying more for this coverage (even as a second vehicle) than most folks are paying to insure an $80K SMB.

I called Justin from the insurance thread last year about a stated value policy from Safeco (and anyone else) no-go since it's a home build....
Hmm, wife is asking me about insurance right now and I pointed her to this thread to see a real life example. I feel like 4x4 and a professionally installed poptop, bumpers, etc should be easy to add. But definitely makes me worried about the interior buildout that will definitely be a home build.
bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
Hmm, wife is asking me about insurance right now and I pointed her to this thread to see a real life example. I feel like 4x4 and a professionally installed poptop, bumpers, etc should be easy to add. But definitely makes me worried about the interior buildout that will definitely be a home build.
Depending on the company .....they may be easy to add.....but a few folks here have gotten quarters on the dollar for accessories when their van was stolen.

Here are a few other data points that I found locally....

21st Century would only do $5K max extra for accessories

AAA would do the $9K extra that I started with but wouldn't cover the 4WD conversion....

Here is the insurance thread.....it's long ...but there is lots of good info here:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-smb-5412.html

The best policy is an actual value policy....good luck finding that.....

Next best is a stated value policy, good luck finding that on a homebuild....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:53 PM   #17

I have Allied and they would only add $6,500 for additional modifications. I haven't looked at other companies yet because I have everything through the one company. I should look into it though.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:56 AM   #18

Seeking some advice here...

So, the estimate from the (out-of-network, but trusted by me) shop was actually $9,050. The insurance company received the estimate, then promptly "cancelled/locked" (not sure if this is industry terminology specific, here) it.

They stated that the reason this was done was because the estimate was for more than $7500, and that they wanted to make sure that nothing was overlooked by my shop-of-choice. They scheduled one of their field appraisers to perform an estimate. This estimate has not yet happened.

My insurance company is USAA, and I've had mostly good experiences with them. Still, I feel a bit on the defensive to protect my ability to have the van repaired. Repair would be my most favorable outcome. Maybe I'm a bit suspicious that USAA will try to salvage the van. And I do realize that there are pros and cons to salvaging the van, as others have mentioned in their replies to this thread.

Here are my questions: Is it a good idea to have the USAA appraiser perform an estimate? Is there a reason why this would not be beneficial to my ability to have the van repaired by my shop-of-choice?
Old 09-30-2016, 09:25 AM   #19

I have USAA also and they have been good to me over the years. Sorry but they are probably going to total your van. What they are also trying to ensure is getting a quote from an out of network shop. When they approve the repair for quoted cost the shop comes back half way through the repair needing to add more to the cost. USAA would be on the hook for those overruns and those could drive the price to a total loss.

Fingers crossed for you! USAA seems to have the customer in mind more then any other insurance company I have dealt with. With that said they still have a bottom line.
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:56 AM   #20

Are you having to go through your own insurance because the driver of the other car was uninsured? Sucks if that's the case, I would think that her parent's insurance would be on the hook for that.

Insurance companies will almost always send out their own adjuster if you go to a shop that isn't in their network. As others have said, I would think that they are going to total the van because of the cost of repairs being a high ratio of the van's value.