Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2014, 01:39 PM   #1
ctp

Who made my van

Ok it's not mine yet but I looked at it breze fly yesterday
89 ford shipped as new as a bus ( not school bus) 4x4 owner thinks made by Ford but I don't think so
Only clue is a metalized tag on rad support worn off except made in ca ( Santa Clara? Maybe )

Thanks I am reading about what I should have looked at it's a 7.3 150k miles I think May be only 50k looking at pedals but it's not been cared for. Still runs but will need new stuff just cause the old stuff ( hoses belts fluids etc are --old)

Any way the question is. Who made 4by vans in Ca in 89 ?

Thanks
Chuck

ctp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:35 PM   #2

Re: Who made my van

Picture could be worth 1000 words.
FastAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:38 PM   #3

The only bus Ford made was basically an extended-body van, with an extra long rear extension. The lower body panels were the same as regular vans, but slab-sided above the belt line:

If your bus body does not have the stock van body lines, Ford only built the cutaway chassis.

4x4 was not offered by Ford. Around that time it could have been SalemKroger, Advanced, or Quigley. Or maybe even some school district's home-built conversion?

SalemKroger was based in Red Bluff, CA.

BTW - I think '89s came with the 6.9L?
Old 04-28-2014, 04:20 PM   #4
ctp

Thanks the door sticker does say bus but it's a window van and I was gonna take pics but phone camera ... It doesent work when I want it to perhaps if. I dropped it less ....

6.9 7.3 I have a 88 pickup 7.3. So maybe this 89is as well ...shrug. There is no data plate on rad support hood or pass door only the vin on driver side .

I'll get pics when I pick it up. Don't like fule milage I read but my 88 pu only gets 15 and it has a gear vendors and five speed .

Thanks. For the input
Old 04-28-2014, 04:59 PM   #5

Back in 1989, the conversion was most likely done by Pathfinder, they had conversions done in Warn, Indiana and City of Industy in Calif. They are the only one's I can recall from the 80's.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:07 PM   #6
ctp

Thanks. Wish my camera haven't taken a dump it would have made this easer

Oh well I need a hauler my pick up has custom bed to hold my Alaskan camper so it no use
And well four wheel drive should get us into some better fishing areas .
Old 04-28-2014, 05:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctp
Thanks the door sticker does say bus but it's a window van...
The door sticker on my run of the mill '98 15 passenger "window" van says "BUS (NOT SCHOOL BUS)" too. My K5 Blazer says "wagon" it is just the way the DOT categorizes things, just enjoy that its categorization has it pay registration the same as a passenger car without all the weight penalty fees that a commercial truck (cargo van) pays. I went from paying $600 a year to register my 1 ton truck down to $80 a year to register my 1 ton van.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote