Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2007, 08:42 AM   #1

Garage
Winter parking suggestions?

I also posted a similar question on the poll in Towing & Toys but this thread is probably better here...

For those of us blessed to live in the Snowbelt and who also don't have a garage or one big enough to park our rigs indoors, what do you do during the snowy months? I have winterized the H20 system w/ a bunch of cheapo vodka, van was washed/waxed not too long ago. Anything else I should do?
(I think I may have figured out my leaking PH issue - think it was a PH window that wasn't fully zipped close and the angle my van was parked, water came in thru the open window I think and hope!!)

But getting back to the point of this post, do you just leave 'em parked out in the snow all winter long? As much as I'd like to say it will get regular attention this winter it's not going to happen esp w/ the arrival of our little girl anytime now and given how much they like to salt the living daylights on the roads here in UT. I still will try to get the van out once every week or two even if it is for 50 miles or so just enough to keep batteries topped off and all seals etc... lubed up.

Has anyone used/tried one of the carport/canopy type of shelters to cover their SMB's? Does it hold up to wind/snow OK? Just looking for a solution for this winter that doesn't cost an arm and a leg as construction on a garage will happen next summer (was supposed to happen this past summer but I bought the SMB instead, wifey was super cool!!) and want to protect my investment.

Any tips or suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks guys

Cheers,

Derek

Old 11-18-2007, 10:59 AM   #2

I would think having the carport blow into or come down under a load of snow would do a lot more damage to your SMB than just snow.

My F250 came from a Canadian military base where it spent most of it's life under heavy snow and I don't believe there were any ill effects.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:41 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33
How about a Van cover? We had to park our Westy (When we had him) outside because we had too many cars. We bought a decent car cover and it kept it clean and covered from the elements. Hope this helps!

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:22 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to stanton
Winter parking suggestions?

This may be obvious, but worth mentioning: Many "self storage" places rent spaces big enough two drive/park your 4WD SMB in. Some places even offer "RV Condos" with power.

The price isn't cheap however. I was between garages and spent about $125 per month on a unit, but I only needed it for a few months. Since I'm a big believer in garaging vehicles (all year) whenever possible and I only needed it for a few months, it worked and was acceptable my case.

Sorry, no experience with the portable carport canopies. The Van cover looks pretty good.
stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:55 PM   #5

winter parking

I'm planning on getting a carport for my SMB. (soon) We don't get the amount of snow that you probably experience in Utah, I just want it out of the sun and other weather issues. I also washed & waxed it recently and winterized the F.W. system.

Philrod

07 E350 V10 RB50
philrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:16 PM   #6

Actually in Denver they have "self storage" RV garages for sale as a condo unit. You buy, own and can resell. Utilities are seperate for each unit and you pay a small grounds fee, like in a condo.

I thought it was a really interesting idea. The smallest one they offer is about 75G though, so I'd need to be living in my SMB in the storage unit... hmmm....
Old 11-19-2007, 08:38 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Actually in Denver they have "self storage" RV garages for sale as a condo unit. You buy, own and can resell. Utilities are seperate for each unit and you pay a small grounds fee, like in a condo.

I thought it was a really interesting idea. The smallest one they offer is about 75G though, so I'd need to be living in my SMB in the storage unit... hmmm....
***THREAD HIJACK****

Jeremiah,

Have you settled on relocating in Denver?

I'm still searching for a new position that will let me relocate in a more affordable area, and therefore will let me buy a better sized home for my biological and vehicular familiy. Tops on my list are Albuquerque and Colorado Springs, though I did just see a job posting just south of Denver.

Herb
Old 11-20-2007, 08:17 AM   #8

Yes, I'll be driving to Denver on the 30th and trying to rent a house. The Cherry Creek area is where we want to be, or west Aurora. We're 6 weeks out from the end of the lease, so there isn't necessarily time to waffle on the major city choice

I've heard great things about Ft. Collins North of Denver but it might be a little far to the airport for my wife's job. I plan to check it out during my "rent a house" mission.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:15 AM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to stanton
If you guys make it out to the Front Range (Ft. Collins, Denver Colo Springs, Boulder, ETC. . .) look me up. I'll show you around the local mountains and point you to the shops that I've had luck with when I've needed work/maintenance done on my SMB.

Randy,
Boulder, CO
stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:39 AM   #10

I would like a recommendation on parking my F250 trailer and TJ for about a month. It's about 42ft all hooked together, or 21ft seperate. I don't really mind leaving it too far away from Denver, because I'm leaving it while I go back to Tucson and get the family and SMB. Course then again if I rent a house I can hopefully leave it there, so it might just be parking while I scout around in the Jeep.