Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2014, 02:41 PM   #11

Re: You opinion, and my welcome.

Did you see this one on CL in NJ? 03 E250 EB Quigley with 200k for $4900. Looks a bit rough, but price is right.

http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/4600547644.html

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:16 PM   #12

Yes I did see that, it is in very rough shape and rusted bad. Price is low but not worth it I would have to dump too much into it. I appreciate it.
Gh0ztkid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:40 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0ztkid21
Seams good but I'm a little afraid with the 6.0l now. If I did get it I would do the necessary egr and oil cooler so that hopefully the van would be good.
>>>EGR valve = made it to the shop. (Very common 6.0 issue)
>>>Injector failed = tow. (Fairly common 6.0 issue)
>>>IPR valve/HPOP issue = tow (Can be a 6.0 issue)
>>>Fuel regulator = made it to the shop. (Fairly common 6.0 issue)
>>>Vacuum booster = tow. (Non-6.0 issue)
>>>Heater hose popped off and lost all coolant = tow. Poor repair job by Ford. (Non 6.0 issue)
>>>SMB wire harness caught in fan, radiator destroyed = tow. (Non 6.0 issue)
>>>Mechanic left screwdriver on engine, radiator destroyed = tow. (Non 6.0 issue)
>>>Wiring harness failed = made it to the shop. (Common 6.0 issue)
>>>Bed plate gasket leak = made it to the shop. (Common 6.0 issue)

The IPR and HPOP issues were sensors. I think I haven't had any EGR, or oil cooler issues lately because as you can see I replace the coolant about every year. Also I started using cetane booster on a regular basis. I change my oil at every 7K miles, run AMSOIL and a twin filter system. I also use Hot Shot Secret. I've never had a turbo issue to date. What I don't like about the 6.0 is all the sensor issues that can go bad with no warning. If a sensor goes out, many times you'll need a tow unless you know what has failed, have the part, and can get to it. Being on a trail in the middle of nowhere is nerve racking at times. But any vehicle can break down. 100K + 6.0 = time to bullet proof as much as possible IMO. Hopefully it will go 300+ miles w/o a 6.0 failure after I'm done.
But you can also see that many problems I've had were not 6.0 related.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0ztkid21
Yeah. So now I'm second guessing it especially when he's asking $16k for it.....I appreciate it guys I'm just so on the fence and being I'm not the most mechanically advanced person outside oil changes, breaks rotors and replacing starters/alternators and such.
Honestly, unless you prefer some headaches that aren't if but when I would keep looking. The fact that all of the expensive stuff hasn't been done means it will have to at some point, and you don't want that in the middle of a trip. I would recommend you find a V10 or a 7.3 diesel (2003 back to 96/97). I do a lot of my own maintenance and am fairly mechanically inclined but still totally afraid of 6.0's. I know some are going to disagree with me here but there are horror stories after horror stories here. Camper vans are ex$pensive enough as is!!!

Just my .02

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:56 PM   #15

Re: Your opinion, and my welcome.

Yes agreed. Well I am still undecided on what to do. The v10 would definitely be an option but finding one around here decent enough or worth it all are 2wd. I'm looking for 4wd which are few and far between, and most all I find are out west. Possibly if the price is right on the van then I may go a head with the buy but I would like to safely be in the 10k range with him so that I could spend the 6-8k on bullet proofing the engine. I appreciate all the help I will let you guys know how it goes. Any other input is also still welcomed since I won't be going back out there to meet him until this weekend.

Thanks a lot guys
Old 08-20-2014, 06:19 PM   #16

Well here's my opinion... take it or leave it. I've don't have a problem with the 6.0l. Everyone wants to have a worn out 7.3L that spews a lot of pollutants. Budget for the repairs and the crappy transmission. That's some pretty low mileage for a 6.0L. As far as Bulletproofing, I did my own (excluding head bolts) and I'm pushing 62. Not a mechanic but I have a lot of patience. Also upgraded my turbo. This was all preventative because I had zero issues. I did it it because of the way I travel and that includes remote areas in North America. A young guy like you shouldn't get caught up in the "what if's" of a 6.0L...there are millions on the road with no problems. I would more concerned about the Quigley conversion. The leaf spring set-ups are much safer. Again...just my opinion. Hope it helps. Barry
lonepeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:34 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage

Some of the issues the 6.0 has adopted are related to pickups and adding HP to the engine. The van engines aren't rated as much as the F-series. Many of the parts that were problematic were also upgraded...not that it makes me feel a whole lot better. My concern is if I'm in there how much more should I go. I doubt I will do this:
[youtube:30sengfw]

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:22 AM   #18

Thanks lonepeak on the info. Yeah after reading into them more I've found tons and tons of guys that never had a problem with the 6.0. I'm going to go with it, and do the delete kit along with the cooler and buy the van. It's in immaculate condition I would be stupid not to buy it. As long as I take good care of it, oil changed and filter changes on time along with the egr delete and cooler I think I should be ok
Old 08-28-2014, 08:26 PM   #19

So I ended up purchasing the e350 6.0L diesel 4x4 and love it. It's a tank!!! 4" lift thing sits tall and pretty. Can't wait to get it on some trails. Thanks for all the help and once I can figure how to post pictures from my phone on here I will get some pictures up here!