Sportsmobile Forum

Sportsmobile Forum (http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/)
-   Homemade SMB - Ground Up Builds (http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f24/)
-   -   Road Block (http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f24/road-block-14439.html)

Bee 02-19-2015 02:51 AM

Road Block
 
Anyone know how to remove these E-Track liners? I'm trying to remove all the paneling and I've pulled all the plastic fasteners but these tracks in the center on each side of the van are bolted in and don't have a screw head to remove them...

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/att...98d1a09a59.jpg

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/att...902a89e3c7.jpg

Karsten 02-19-2015 03:36 AM

Re: Road Block
 
Looks like rivets to me, so a good drill is your friend here.

JWA 02-19-2015 05:26 AM

Re: Road Block
 
those are indeed pop rivets, steel bodies and a very hard center mandrel.

In order to remove them first use a center punch and drive the mandrel inward, exposing a hole. Make sure the mandrel is all the way out of the rivet body, not just slightly below the surface.

With a sharp 9/32" or 5/16" bit drill squarely into the rivet body, just deep enough to remove as much of the rivet head as possible. Do this along the bottom of the E-Track first before moving to the upper side.

On the upper row remove all rivets this way leaving the center one for last. This way it won't fall or slip lose unexpectedly.

HTH

E350 02-19-2015 06:35 AM

Re: Road Block
 
Why remove them. Just cover the up with your insulation and move forward.

Bee 02-19-2015 11:06 AM

Re: Road Block
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by E350
Why remove them. Just cover the up with your insulation and move forward.

Those e-tracks are keeping me from removing those grey plastic wall liners. I'm trying trying to get the van gutted down to the metal.

Bee 02-19-2015 11:10 AM

Re: Road Block
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JWA
those are indeed pop rivets, steel bodies and a very hard center mandrel.

In order to remove them first use a center punch and drive the mandrel inward, exposing a hole. Make sure the mandrel is all the way out of the rivet body, not just slightly below the surface.

With a sharp 9/32" or 5/16" bit drill squarely into the rivet body, just deep enough to remove as much of the rivet head as possible. Do this along the bottom of the E-Track first before moving to the upper side.

On the upper row remove all rivets this way leaving the center one for last. This way it won't fall or slip lose unexpectedly.

HTH

Sounds like you know what you're talking about. All those words are beyond my internal dictionary so this weekend when I have time off, I'm going to look up what you're talking about and hopefully have at it with good results. Thanks.

E350 02-19-2015 11:50 AM

Re: Road Block
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bee
Those e-tracks are keeping me from removing those grey plastic wall liners. I'm trying trying to get the van gutted down to the metal.

Got it. Time to use or to acquire new tools!

1. Eye goggles and a face shield from Harbor Freight ("H.F.").
2. H.F. welding gloves (3 pack suede with gauntlets)
3. Makita (not H.F.) 4.5" (not 4") Angle Grinder
4. 4.5" grinding and cutting wheel packet from H.F.

It is the top "flange" on the rivet that is keeping the track on. The above tools will make quick work of this. Grind off the flange and the track should peel off then you should be able to remove the plastic panel and then push the rivets back into the van wall's vertical studs (where they will vibrate forever if you listen closely).

JackTuppVan 02-19-2015 01:35 PM

Re: Road Block
 
1 Attachment(s)
REFERENCE

Bee 02-19-2015 03:03 PM

Re: Road Block
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JackTuppVan
REFERENCE

Thanks for that picture. That makes my brain process what's in there better.

TheYeti 02-19-2015 04:15 PM

Re: Road Block
 
Just drill em out, takes a little bit, a fresh metal drill bit helps speed it up but its still kinda tedious. If your going to re-attach I highly recommend a pneumatic gun over the manual. Just did this myself not too long ago.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.