Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #1

Got our rig! 1995 RB30 2wd...

Hey Folks,

Just thought I would post up since I finally purchased a SMB. I was originally looking for a transformer type setup so that I can use the van as a utility vehicle, but was drawn to this '95 RB30 layout due to how clean it looked.

My wife and I made the trek from San Luis Obispo to Temecula to pick it up. Showed up at the PO's place to check it out and his estate was pretty spectacular. It actually detracted from the purchase of this rig because of how incredible his home/property was. There was actually a wedding going on at his property during the time we were there, but it was on the other side of his house so we werent disturbing anything. Anyways, the rig looked very clean and everything seemed to work so off we went after filling out some paperwork.

From Temecula, we headed to El Cajon to visit my sister in law and her family. We got to stay in the SMB that night since she had a full house of visitors. We were excited to stay in it anyways since we were eager to try it all out. We slept downstairs on the gaucho and I immediately noticed a problem. The backrest part of the gaucho slanted downward when in the "bed" position. Made for a mediocre nights sleep but I'll just have to figure out a way to add some support legs or something so it lays even with the rest of the bed.

We left the next day to head home which was pretty uneventful. The van drove great with the exception of the temp gauge going out. It would go on and off so I think its a bad connection to the sending unit. I'll have to try to figure that one out too.

Anyways, we're pretty stoked to have a van to take family weekend trips in. Plan is to enjoy it as is for a while and figure out what we need most. I can already tell I'll need a roof rack of some sort since there isnt much room inside the van. I'd like to lift it as well, but I want to make sure this is the right rig/setup before spending too much money on it.

On to the pics! This is a link to the pics that the PO had on his ad.
http://share.shutterfly.com/view/flashS ... zbsmuRIGHT

Old 10-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #2

Re: Got our rig! 1995 RB30 2wd...

Nice looking Rig! welcome to the van club.
Spenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #3

Very nice, and very similar to the 95 I just bought. Very clean too.

Enjoy!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #4

Wow! Congrats! That's a nice find Great floor plan too!
Old 10-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #5

Thanks guys! We're pretty excited to be part of this exclusive group. We were originally looking at vanagons, but I couldn't get over the lack of power and its small size. Happy I found the Sportsmobile and one in our budget.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:25 AM   #6

Very nice and clean van. The floor plan is similar to mine and i love it. Never understand why RB50 is so popular
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by schluchtenflitzer
Very nice and clean van. The floor plan is similar to mine and i love it. Never understand why RB50 is so popular

Yeah I think the "30" floor plan is great since its more of a social setting. You can sit on the gaucho, swivel the front passenger seat and have a little hang out area. I'm pretty sure mine has a driver's swivel too so even better!
Old 10-09-2013, 12:56 AM   #8

Completely agree. Also you can use the rear of the van without climbing over the gaucho.
How do the RB50 plan guys open and close the roof spanner in the rear? It must be very time consuming...
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #9

Took our SMB on its first outting this weekend. We headed down to Refugio State Beach and camped over night. It was my first time there, but it definitely wont be my last. My wife has camped there before and kept telling me how she wanted to go back. I got lucky and found a couple camp sites that were available and snatched one up. Anyways, its a great place to camp if you like being next to the beach. You can hear the waves crashing and our site was only about 50 ft from the beach.

Since we just got our SMB, we're trying to squeeze in some quality time with it before the weather starts to change. Our next trip will be to Big Sur for Veteran's Day weekend.

Heres a pic of the rig at Refugio.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #10

Quit having all that fun and start spending money on it
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote