Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2014, 10:05 PM   #1

First SMB!!

Just found this sweet rig!!! Needs a little bit of fixing up, but otherwise its in great shape. 2001 7.3 Ford EB Quigley with only 88 k miles. Been looking for a while and these forums have really come in handy.

I'm wondering if there is anyone out there with a similar rig and what kind of mpg you're getting with this top. I was in the 9-10 range driving this back to Salt Lake from Vegas, but was pushing 85 mph most of the way home (I was in a hurry and had to get to work). Just curious if I need to get the engine tuned up and what not.

kyleblase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:24 AM   #2
Site Team

Re: First SMB!!

Congrats on the rig!

Herb
Old 08-12-2014, 08:06 AM   #3

Congrats! If you got 9-10 out of it driving 85ish home then I think you did pretty well. It should go up if you slow down a little.

Needs more lights on the front, maybe just 4 or 6 more.

Welcome

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:20 AM   #4
Site Team

The previous owner clearly loved accessories.

Can't quite figure out why the previous owner would build a van with a large top on it, only to put the smallest possible awning on it.

Agree with Scotty, that the mileage isn't bad considering your speeds.

FWIW, a fairly common internet perception (in other words, not necessarily based on the truth) is that 7.3's get the best mileage when RPMs are kept at 2000 or below. Depending on gearing, that might put you in the area of 68mph.

Herb
Old 08-12-2014, 09:46 AM   #5

I too started laughing when I saw the awning. I want to meet the original owner to find out why he did a lot of things, like put a camera on each side of the van including the front.

Thanks for the tips on the mpg.

I'm also curious as to opinions about going to SMB for repairs or doing them locally at an RV shop. The things that need fixed are the diesel furnace, the propane system on the fridge (it still works on ac and dc) and a leaky pipe somewhere. I'm headed out to California on a surf trip this week anyway and was thinking of just stopping in Fresno.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleblase
I'm also curious as to opinions about going to SMB for repairs or doing them locally at an RV shop. The things that need fixed are the diesel furnace, the propane system on the fridge (it still works on ac and dc) and a leaky pipe somewhere. I'm headed out to California on a surf trip this week anyway and was thinking of just stopping in Fresno.
You can certainly swing by and talk to them, but they are generally booked out months for work.. so you'd need to schedule in advance.

But the things you mention sound pretty standard, so any decent local shop could probably handle.. nothing different about the install of a fridge in an SMB vs. anything else..
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty

Welcome

Maybe just 2 or 3 full width led light bars on the front of that top. Make them pivot up and down too and it'll be perfect!

Joking aside, welcome! We averaged about 15 - 16mpg from San Fran to Tallahassee in our 7.3, granted our van was completely empty with only a penthouse top and Reunel bumpers(~7800lbs). The California section had slower speed limits so we were over 17. We don't expect to ever see that number again once we get it built out and loaded.

Your van looks like a rugged but yet refined Airstream B-190 with that top.

What's that box on the very top?

-John
Old 08-13-2014, 12:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnandMandi
Quote:

Welcome

Maybe just 2 or 3 full width led light bars on the front of that top. Make them pivot up and down too and it'll be perfect!

Joking aside, welcome! We averaged about 15 - 16mpg from San Fran to Tallahassee in our 7.3, granted our van was completely empty with only a penthouse top and Reunel bumpers(~7800lbs). The California section had slower speed limits so we were over 17. We don't expect to ever see that number again once we get it built out and loaded.

Your van looks like a rugged but yet refined Airstream B-190 with that top.

What's that box on the very top?

-John
That airstream is the only other van I've seen with this top! I really like the extra room it provides but it doesn't seem very aerodynamic. The van is pretty heavy as well and has a 2-20 gallon fresh water tanks and 2-28 gallon fuel tanks to boot! The box on top is a 15,000 btu air conditioner.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:04 AM   #9

Don't bother with smb west. Your local rv shop can do the work. Save your time, money and hassle of going to Fresno. Only thing I would go to them for would be pop top related issues.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Not to pile on.. But I found you these on eBay.

In all seriousness though.. nice van, and you got a good deal.. that doesn't happen every day in SMBworld.
Attached Thumbnails
$_57.JPG  
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote