Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2014, 10:54 PM   #1

Garage
Our Silver 2005 5.4L 2WD RB50 SMB

Well, we finally have one in the driveway.
After 5 months of searching here and elsewhere at least 3 times every day, we contacted garylinngray regarding his 2005 5.4L 2WD SMB. We flew to Portland on Saturday with one way tickets, hoping the truck was half as nice as it looked. Gary was accurate in his description of the rig and showed genuine concern that we might not think it as nice as he did. Gary was superb in his dealings with us. He picked us up from the airport in the SMB and it is beautiful. Better than even his high praise for it's condition would have led us to expect.

106K miles and it looked as though it had never been camped in and virtually new inside and out. there were just a few minor scratches on the paint that did nothing to diminish it's value to us. While it is 2wd there is room in the budget for a 4x4 conversion (hopefully Ramsey will be in tomorrow as I hope to give him a call). All the systems seem to be in great shape. There was room in the fridge for all the double smoked bacon we pick up when passing through Bishop and going to Mahogany Smoked Meats! Yum... We love the "50", and always have since trying to figure out a way of getting one in an early 60's VW Safari Edition Deluxe Micro Bus. The truck handles way better than I thought possible by a stock van. Really comfortable to drive (we had 3 consecutive days of between 5 and 7 hours on the road.) My wife loved driving it as well and she is a driving force, eh hem, behind giving it a beefed up off-road performance makeover. We have excellent bones.

But, I must say that the 5.4L and the 3.73 gears worked to perfection. Plenty of power (my main concern) and 17.6 MPG on our maiden topped-off leg from Bend, OR to Gardnerville, NV driving the speed limit, between 55 and 70mph the whole way. Mostly rolling hills with some definite ups and downs. I am pretty sure that this is as good as it will ever get. Still though, you should have seen the smile on my face when the Gas Pump jerked to a stop at 24.5 gallons on the 431.2 mile leg. It looked better than expected even before I did the actual math. This morning we headed out from Gardnerville to home in LA. Conway grade out of Bridgeport, CA near Mono Lake, Deadman's Summit near June lake and many others were NO problem. Making 65 up those with only one downshift, a light touch on the throttle and RPMs around 2200. Once or twice I put my foot in it to see if it would accelerate, and while the engine screamed in the lower gear, the R's only hit about 3.5K and she scooted right up the grades at 75 if I called for it. Way more power than I had expected. I imagine with bigger tires and 4x4 we will have to change the rear end ratio, but if we could make it perform in a similar way on the highway I will be more than happy.

The 35 gallon tank making it look easy. Not cheap to fill but it allowed us to pass the $4.15 per gallon gas in the 395 corridor to safely arrive home with almost a quarter of a tank to spare where we can purchase 87 from Costco for $3.59 a gallon (and save an additional 3% on our AmEx). My 4Runner gets similar mileage but only carries 18 gallons. I only have an effective range of around 250-300 miles. I have yet to fill-er-up from the drive today, but fuel economy seems similar. More grades on the Eastern Sierra today for sure. Heck we even came across a beautiful fully decked out Tan SMB on the 14 just before he got off the freeway in Canyon Country. It felt good to honk and wave at someone that knew what we were feeling.

All in all, we arrived home with a new SMB and smiles plastered all over our faces.
Now I have to change my signature...

2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:39 AM   #2
Site Team

Re: Our Silver 2005 5.4L 2WD RB50 SMB

Congratulations!

Herb
Old 09-02-2014, 06:06 AM   #3

Nice!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:13 AM   #4

Really pretty van! I was wondering who snatched that one up. I don't think you'll have any regrets about the 5.4, especially with that great fuel mileage. Keep us posted on your upgrades. Ramsey is great to deal with IMO.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:27 AM   #5

"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:48 AM   #6

Now the big question: do you camp first or do you modify just-one-thing-real-quick first?

C'mon everybody, let's start spending skyrat's money!
Old 09-02-2014, 09:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Now the big question: do you camp first or do you modify just-one-thing-real-quick first?

C'mon everybody, let's start spending skyrat's money!
Well, if he's going to call Ramsey, then he might as well tell him to add the Aluminess, I mean, Ramsey's an Aluminess dealer and it's only another $5000.

P.S. Congrats, that looks super clean!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #8

Garage

Thanks all, it is super clean.
Odd how these things work out...
Less than 24 hours after bringing this beauty home, my wife's Windstar croaked in the middle of traffic while she was on her way to teach Kindergarten. The thing has been real good to us, 20 years and 190K+ miles. Now with that van probably worth < $1K, I am not too keen on putting $3K worth of transmission into it.

So, we will probably be buying another vehicle in the next week or so...
That might or might not change our ability to do the-one-big-thing right away, depending on which direction we go. We believe in paying cash and staying away from payments whenever possible. We will see what develops.

Oh yeah... the truck also got it's first serious door ding on day number one in LA while I was at AAA transferring the title. Right next to the driver door handle where I can look at it each time I enter the truck. I wouldn't mind one bit if it was a trail tattoo, but a door ding from another irresponsible individual that didn't even leave a fake note of apology.
"I Love LA!" NOT!
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:40 PM   #9

Ouch. Sorry to hear it. Pretty ironic too.
Can she not just take the 4Runner in your avatar, or is that still your DD?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:27 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage

Nice! Very clean find. Sorry about the ding, some people are just A-holes. Good luck on the conversion.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote