Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2014, 08:27 PM   #1

Cousin Eddie goes racing

On Thanksgiving our family went to visit relatives out of state. We went in the SMB and "camped" in their yard. Our SMB is still fairly new to us and not yet named. It is hereby christened "Cousin Eddie". I got so carried away with eating and fun I forgot to take a pic of our driveway campsite. Not to worry, we have another driveway campsite booked soon.

Anyway, Cousin Eddie took us camping this weekend for a trail race on Saturday. My boy's first 5K. It was cold, raining hard, and MUDDY. Perfect.

Man, coming back from the race, nothing better than hopping into your warm van for a hot shower (oh yeah, there's a shower in there), dry clothes, and hot coffee.

So here's our interior layout which I don't think I've posted yet:
Yep, that's a crock pot that would later serve up Brunswick Stew that evening. The plywood on the floor is the prototype bed that goes over the front seats. A pic and post for another time.

Here's the other side. Up close, behind the drivers seat is the showerthere's a white bucket sitting on top of a fold down door over the shower pan)

A shot of the campsite: a state park, the sun came out this morning

And now, for your moment of zen:

I have to recommend pour over coffee for camping. Many of us have a kettle. Add a hand grinder which is great for fresh roasted beans. The cone filter you see on the cup is a "no paper" filter, wire mesh. And AHHH, is it good. Anyway, its a good alternative to try sometime.

"save the neck for me Clark"

Ultralite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:39 PM   #2

Re: Cousin Eddie goes racing

Great pics Jonathan! Glad to see you're getting out and enjoying your van! I wish I was.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:48 PM   #3

What was weird to me was this was a big race. It was held at a state park. What could be better than waking up near the start line? Besides having a warm spot after you cross the finish line? But, we were the only campers there! We had the campground part to ourselves.

I would've thought some racers would have slept there the night before. My point is, these vehicles are PERFECT for the running, cycling, weekend competition crowd. And there's a lot of weekend competition activity here in the Southeast, but you just don't see anyone using anything like these vehicles for that activity, not even other camping rigs.
Ultralite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:23 AM   #4

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultralite
What was weird to me was this was a big race. It was held at a state park. What could be better than waking up near the start line? Besides having a warm spot after you cross the finish line? But, we were the only campers there! We had the campground part to ourselves.

I would've thought some racers would have slept there the night before. My point is, these vehicles are PERFECT for the running, cycling, weekend competition crowd. And there's a lot of weekend competition activity here in the Southeast, but you just don't see anyone using anything like these vehicles for that activity, not even other camping rigs.
Maybe its a style thing? What DO runners drive? (For some reason I'm thinking small Japanese cars and SUVs.) The Columbia Gorge sailboarding crowd is definitely into vans, both standard and camper type. A lot of them are also skiers.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:32 AM   #5

I bet it had more to do with the weather than anything. I do agree that almost anywhere else the campground would be full of participants, in tents or whatever, but the weather was lousy everywhere around us this past weekend. I see your point though. Even though wet, our weather is mild. Where are the people? Enjoy an empty campground when you can. It's typically quite the opposite.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote