Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2015, 07:33 AM   #1

Buying a used SMB

I recently purchased a nice, clean low mileage used Sportsmobile. I am happy with the purchase but I thought I would post what I have done to it since I got it home. I have spent about $4500 on it but most of that was optional. The only things that it really needed were front axle oil seals and battery replacements. The previous owner had the SMB inspected by a local Ford dealer before I made the trip to purchase.

2007 Sportsmobile work list:
Work performed by UJoint in Ashville, NC. @ 43,000 miles, Oct. 6, 2014

1. EGR cooler delete
2. Ford oil cooler replace
3. Oil filter & oil, 14 qts oil and 2 qts Hot-Shot injector cleaner
4. Intake manifold cleaning, new gaskets
5. Turbo cleaning
6. VGT ring replace in Turbo
7. EGT gauge
8. Scangauge
9. Updated fuel regulator spring
10. Updated fuel line check valve
11. Turbo outlet hose & clamps
12. Fuel filters
13. Coolant & new coolant cap
14. Custom engine tune from DP Tuner (80 hp)

Work performed by Bruce

1. Side door inside assist handle & panel Loose, put screw through handle into metal of door
2. Removed Espar D4, did maintenance kit, reinstall & test. Replaced fuel pump screens in both
3. Welded small hole in water holding tank with soldering iron & plastic from milk carton
4. Repaired faucet with rubber washer
5. Connected relay so Kenwood would play by switching radio switch to coach
6. Updated Kenwood radio firmware
7. Updated Kenwood Garmin firmware
8. Installed updated Garmin maps
9. Installed backup camera on rear bumper to Kenwood
10. Replaced both inner oil seals in front axle & used Syn axle oil Sept. 2014
11. Replaced left tie rod end rubber boot, I tore old one removing to get carriage out of axle
12. Replaced both front hub grease seals & packed bearings Sept. 2014
13. Replaced both starting batteries with AGM Dec. 2014
14. Replaced coach battery also an AGM Dec. 2014
15. Battery temp sensor was shorted on solar charge controller, found short near Espar, cut out short and soldered wires to fix. Caused over charge of battery
16. Replaced battery isolator with Blue Seas Isolator (500 Amp) with manual control. Put switch in drivers knee panel
17. Installed inside rear view mirror with Temp & Compass. Installed temp sensor behind front grill
18. Replaced Aluminess tray with Aluminess Deluxe Box and shelf
19. Installed Aluminess swing arm locking pins
20. Installed Aluminess weigh support pads on both swing arms & top rear bumper
21. Installed LED bulbs in porch light
22. Installed LED bulbs in both reading lights
23. Repaired right awning window screen
24. Repaired drivers seat which had two small spots where finish was removed
25. Adjust fog lights
26. Set Tripp-Lite to Gell Cell/ AGM, 100 Amp charge
27. Knocked dents out of both rear wheel hub caps

tyonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:47 AM   #2

Re: Buying a used SMB

Nice! Now it's time to go play.

I'm not sure on the 2007 (it may already have the upgrade parts designed by FORD) but did you check that the turbo oil feed and drain lines were replaced as well as the SCT HPOP fitting?
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:56 AM   #3
Site Team

Sounds like you covered all your bases, but the following was my favorite:

"Welded small hole in water holding tank with soldering iron & plastic from milk carton"

Herb
Old 01-20-2015, 08:09 AM   #4

Thanks, Herb

With a soldering iron I was able to melt a strip of plastic cut from a gallon milk jug into the hole. Milk jug had the PEHD recycle code on the bottom. PEHD stands for Polyethylene high density and holding tanks are made from Polyethylene. I was able to repair without removing tank. "Happy Camper"
Old 01-20-2015, 09:08 AM   #5

Location: Bay Area, CA by necessity - Sun Valley, ID if I had a choice.

She's gorgeous! Congrats!

~Peter
Old 01-20-2015, 09:52 AM   #6

OP, with your detailed list I don't know if you are looking for further input regarding your mods? The main idea is to not get stranded in the backcountry right? Seems like you've got most of the 6.0 cooling and oil system preventative bases covered with the delete and turbo work.

Except...electrical and exhaust. More food for thought.

If you've got the OEM 110A alternator my suggestion would be to upgrade it now. That drives the whole show. It's woefully undermatched for the 6.0 and will kill batteries which in turn kills the FICM. A dying FICM will kill the injectors (an injector is $300 ea and ~6 hours labor). The extra heat generated by the 6.0 in the cramped engine bay also helps hasten the stock FICM demise. The electronics in the power side of the FICM are weak. There are several aftermarket options but the most highly regarded one is the upgraded electronics offered by Bulletproof diesel. http://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/Bullet ... pgrade.htm
Or, send it in to FICMrepair.com. Since you are already running a PCM tune (which also adds heat by advancing the timing and changing the fueling tables) you might also consider a FICM tune.

A FICM tune like the PHP Atlas40 will ensure that you have the best inductive heating strategy. As I understand it, in 2007 Ford came out with a new FICM strategy that while resolving a number of cold start issues, severely limited the performance of the engine with consequent loss in mileage. So, many of us have flashed our FICMs with a revised strategy that also increases turbo spin up and throttle response. Either way, monitoring FMP with the scanguage is a good idea. Anything less than 45 is going to kill your injectors. Ideally, it should not drop to less than 48V. Take some time to noodle around Ed's recommendations here: http://www.ficmrepair.com/index.cfm/pag ... /cat13.htm

Since you had the EGR deleted you must not be subject to a smog check so if you are pushing your EGTs you may wish to consider modifying the exhaust system to help your engine breath better. This one is a delicate issue but the cat is restrictive. A high flow muffler will help as well.

Perhaps these are all things you've already considered but if not I hope this helps. Welcome to the 6.0 club. It's a labor of love for sure.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:19 AM   #7

Install a coolant filter.

Also, keep in mind the scanguage does not monitor fuel pressure. You've got the blue spring which will help keep a nice healthy flow to the injectors but if the fuel pump goes so too will the injectors.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:14 PM   #8

Thanks for the suggestions from those with experience with the 6.0.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyonb
Thanks for the suggestions from those with experience with the 6.0.
Sorry for getting long winded, and you might have known most of this, but someone else may need this info.

My experience with the 6.0 just took a turn for the worse. Or the better depending on how you look at it. Just reconditioned the turbo and added a billet wheel. Works great but now the stupid EGR cooler blue silicone connector hose is leaking. Must have bumped it enough to compromise it but eventually it would have leaked anyway. Sucko, that means the intake manifold has to come off. Time to do the EGR delete and replace the oil cooler time.