Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2015, 11:06 AM   #1

Bumper for Dodge SMB

i just had my new rear bumper with swing out installed last week. When I purchased the SMB in November the spare tire was stored behind the back doors under the bed which was using up too much valuable storage space. Living in San Diego I went by Aluminess to see if they could set me up with a swing tire mount. They said they could, but it would be pretty pricey because my SMB was a Dodge and they would have to make only the one bumper. They referred me to Tiregate which I considered for a moment. I searched the Internet researching installing the spare tire on the rear door and realized that was not the route I wanted to take either. So now I'm a few weeks away from a trip we're taking and still no place for the spare other than inside the SMB. I google metal fabricators in San Diego and what do you know there's one five blocks down the street...Southern Cali Custom Metal Fabrication. I stopped in and spoke with Neil and Franco who though very busy with a lot of commercial work said they would take on the design and fabrication of my new bumper. I had my new bumper installed with two days to spare. Now I will be going back to Aluminess for the ladder to get up to my Thule box. Kenny is pretty sure the Ford ladder will work with my Dodge. This is good news because we will need the access to the extra storage on top for our upcoming trip to Alaska and the Yukon in June.

TracyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:29 AM   #2

Re: Bumper for Dodge SMB

Looks good.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:35 PM   #3

Hi,

Ain't Dodge life fun with all the aftermarket goodies made of unobtainium.

You're bumper and tire rack look great. How much of a price difference versus standard off the shelf Aluminus (sp?) bumpers was it to go custom with your local fabricators?

Thanks and enjoy.

Regards,

Gavin
Old 04-01-2015, 03:18 PM   #4

Hi pntyrmvr....Aluminess didn't actually give me a price besides saying...it would be expensive. The bumper cost a little less than their bumper with swing outs. It's a chore finding aftermarket parts for the dodge. When I was looking for rims I had only a few choices to get the look I wanted. But I wouldn't give her up....she's a good ol girl.
TracyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:50 AM   #5

Hi,

She is a classic. Keep 'em rolling. At last count there were 7 Dodges around here. Must be something in the water...

Regards,

Gavin