Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #1

Baja - ultra low sulfer diesel?

Hello,

I am in the planning stages of a trip down to Baja in the Dec/Jan time frame. I've been doing quite a bit of research and I am concerned about the possible lack of available ULSD in Baja. My van is a 2009 6.0 PSD and like all newer diesels requires ULSD. Is ULSD available in Baja? If so, in which cities? Appreciate advice from others who've made the trip in newer diesels.

Thanks,
DJM

djm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #2

Re: Baja - ultra low sulfer diesel?

I did a bit of research on this before buying our van. The ultra low sulfur diesel is only required by diesel engines that have a diesel particulate filter. The sulfur particles will clog the DPF causing it to fail. The 6.0 was not designed for a DPF which means your van should do just fine on the diesel available in Mexico. Federal law mandated ULSD for all diesel vehicles in 07 or 08 and because you van was produced after this all the literature for your van will say ULSD is required even though it is essentially the same as an 04 van that didn't require ULSD.

Cheers,
John
Old 10-26-2013, 09:36 AM   #3

John is right on here. I've been doing Baja (lived there awhile) for decades. I've run hundreds of gallons of their diesel thru my '07 with no problems. I called a friend from Ford in Dearborn and he confirmed that the 6.0 is fine without ULSD. No matter what the year of the rig.

Go and have fun!!!!!!

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
Site Team

Heck, if I could only run non-ULSD, I'd be all over that.

Herb
Old 11-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #5

Great info, everyone -- thanks!

DJM
djm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #6

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Baja has no refineries of their own and receives their refined fuel from north of the border. You will have no problems with the fuel there.

Three times a year, SCORE, holds major off-road races in Baja with thousands to support vehicles there running tens of thousands of diesel through new late model vehicles requiring ultra low sulfur - NO ONE has reported a problem!

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:02 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to drodio

Hey guys,

This isn't Sportsmobile-specific, but rather about ULSD fuel:

I have a 2008 Dodge Cummins 6.7 and I'm also trying to figure the ULSD issue out.

I did a bunch of research and posted a blog about it here: http://forum.xpcamper.org/index.php/top ... ationally/

If anyone has any more details/opinions on it, I'd love to hear them -- I'm mostly wondering how realistic it is that I could travel throughout Latin America with a 6.7 Dodge.

Thanks,

DROdio
San Francisco, CA
drodio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by drodio
Hey guys,

This isn't Sportsmobile-specific, but rather about ULSD fuel:

I have a 2008 Dodge Cummins 6.7 and I'm also trying to figure the ULSD issue out.

I did a bunch of research and posted a blog about it here: http://forum.xpcamper.org/index.php/top ... ationally/

If anyone has any more details/opinions on it, I'd love to hear them -- I'm mostly wondering how realistic it is that I could travel throughout Latin America with a 6.7 Dodge.

Thanks,

DROdio
We had a 2012 6.7 and loved it. All the diesel guys say it's essentially a 5.9, just need to change the parts to make it so. Hit up your diesel shops that have techs that come from racing. I'm not suggesting you remove or alter environmental parts, just saying.

-John