Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2014, 09:45 AM   #1

Snow camping and SMB sightings

We spent our first weekend snow camping in the van at the local ski hill! We had some great ski conditions and the van worked great!

Also saw 2 other vans in the parking lot!

BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:42 PM   #2

Garage
Re: Snow camping and SMB sightings

nice!

we can not wait to do board trips in ours. wont be to going to ski resorts, but just winter camping in the backcountry and putting our splits to use on a more regular basis.

what resort were you guys at?
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:33 PM   #3

Yeah we prefer more remote places too. (Ie: less people) But we still had a good time here!
This was at Snoqualmie Pass, Wa.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFFALO
Yeah we prefer more remote places too. (Ie: less people) But we still had a good time here!
This was at Snoqualmie Pass, Wa.
What heating system did you use?
Old 02-25-2014, 09:49 PM   #5

Propex 2800.
Its awesome!
Old 02-27-2014, 07:47 AM   #6

Garage

nice, ive been to alpental a few times and one other spot up there, but it was so long ago, i forgot which one it was. that cliff at alpental is nuts...

and its not so much the people...well yes it is, lol. but the prices for lift tickets is just so crazy anymore, we cant justify it. the local resort 20 min from our house, appropriately named bogus basin, just doesnt get the snowfall. when it does, somehow or another, every damned person in this town ends up there and the hill is chewed before 10am. so were finding that earning our turns is much more enjoyable. plus theres a nice natural hotsprings 20-30 min from where weve been riding. its nice to close the day with a soak watching elk feed 50' from you

and crappy pic, but this was taken from right about where my wife was sitting in above pic the same day.

i was actually asleep and woke up to a nudge from the wife. she pointed at a single elk eating about 100' away. we watched completely still for 10 min and they just started pouring out of the treeline. ended up being 19 of them. we were completly still for 30 minutes checking them out and someone walked up from a lower pool. we figured it would spook them, but they didnt care at all, so i grabbed the camera and took a few pix.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
Old 02-27-2014, 08:53 AM   #7

NV
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:33 PM   #8

That sounds like an awesome spot! I hear you on the lift ticket prices. My in laws got us season passes for Christmas, that's how we afford it!
I would much rather do it like you. We have a 7 year old who is actually becoming a great skier already! And we do a bit of hiking and biking, so it stands to reason that we can have him slogging up the hills in the backcountry in the next few years too!
I have been to Bogus once and liked the mountain. But I can see how it would get very crowded real quick. How much are tickets there now? We were at Mt. Baker a few weeks ago and I thought the 55 was very reasonable for that mt.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:44 AM   #9

Garage

bogus is 50 bucks for a 10am to 10pm pass these days. which is a pretty good deal when they actually have snow if you have the legs to ride that long, lol. thier best deal is from 4pm to 10 pm though. you buy 2-12 packs of any pepsi product and a lift ticket is 10 bucks. bogus is a great facility, they just dont get the snowfall. last year they didnt open till either the last week in jan or first week in feb. needless to say, passholders were pretty hot. lots of "deals" were made.

sun valley, jackson hole, and big sky are all just about 100 bucks for a day pass. we just cant do it. have had incredible days at each, but unless i have some kind of voucher, theres no way we will be going to any of those places again. hell, even targhee is 75 bucks for a day pass and doesnt offer a snow guarantee anymore (i dont think anyone around here does this any longer), so if they shut the lifts down due to winds, your 75 buck ski pass is worthless.

55 for a pass at baker seems resonable. i havent been there, but i seem to remember its a larger facility. free season passes for anywhere is sweet!! somebody loves you and yours for sure! and love seeing the little tots in the bc. a buddy of mine that lives at the base of the teton pass had his boy riding up there as soon as he had a board. it was awesome to see him out in the sticks so early. needless to say, the kid freaking rips now.

the area weve been spending time at (other than the teton pass) is called moores creek summit. its slowly turning into a local hotspot for backcountry riders. theres a website that gets updated often with snow and avi conditions reports which is really handy. theres been skin tracks most everytime weve gone. still learning the lay of the land, but were really liking the lack of people and especially the turns.