Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2014, 11:05 PM   #1
Site Team

Garage
NorCal Sierra 4x4 Meet (LEAVITT TRAIL WILL BE OPEN)

Rallypanam contacted me about doing a little 4x4 run up in the Sierra Nevada's in June. I'm up for a trip and after a few back and forth PM's we thought Leavitt Lake might be a good choice. It's a beautiful area that might be closed to vehicles in the future and a place nobody with a 4x4 should miss in their lifetime. There are a couple other members interested and it looks like the weekend of June 21st is good target date. I plan to be up there on the evening of the 18th if all goes well at work and leave out on Sunday.

If you look at the link above it will give you an idea of the area. The fishing is good as well as the local hikes if you're into that. No agenda is set up at this point but the Wolf Creek trail is W/I a few miles of the lake and I'm willing to run that if others want to. Myself, a weekend get together is fine by me without leaving the area. I'm easy as long as I have some booze

I'm still not sure of the trail condition yet or if it will be open (it would be rare if it's closed) so the trip is tentative at this point. The lake rests at about 9200 feet and gets windy at times up there. Campfires are permitted but with the drought conditions fires might not be allowed plus the wind might push us into our vans anyway. But we'll hope for good weather and a good time.

Anybody wanting to join us is more than welcome.

[Updated]

So far those interested:
daveb
rallypanam
1der
calclimber
yvrr
Tapatio
Hopefully 86Scotty
oldbonesclimber
danhtran1143
Gooseberry

I think most members planning to attend probably know the area but for those who don't:
Members coming out of the southern part of CA, 395 might be your best choice. There are other nice spots on the east side to break up the drive. Green Creek (like Leavitt) has a lot of dispersed camping but with the current federal takeover and backcountry closures, I don't know if they will block off the roads into the dispersed camping. Also be prepared for mosquitos at the marshy lower levels like Green Creek.

If you want to get the most out of Sonora Pass, the west side offers a more scenic drive at least along the pass.

Coming from the west side of the Sierra's, there are several campgrounds to stop at off along highway 108 to split up the long drive if need be.
Campground link

CG link-2

Baker Campground (best for easy access but near 108)
Boulder Flat Campground
Brightman Flat Campground (Not too nice but usually has spots when others don't)
Cascade Creek Campground
Clark Fork Campground
Clark Fork Horse Campground
Dardanelle Campground
Deadman Campground (best of the bunch but often full)
Eureka Valley Campground
Fence Creek Campground (A ways off 108 but usually has open spots)
Fraser Flat Campground (Lower in altitude)
Herring Creek Campground
Herring Reservoir Campground
Mill Creek Campground (large usually busy)
Niagara Creek Campground
Pigeon Flat Campground
There are also several forest serving roads that you can just pull off to boon dock at. By far the best is Eagle Meadows road but you may have to drive in several miles. Grab a map at the Summit Ranger Station in Pinecrest. While you're there get a fire permit.
(I do not know what will be open compared to last year due to the MVUM. Many areas once open are now closed off) The ranger station has Motor Vehicle Use Map's for free.

Zak's Auto Shack in MiWok has the best price for all fuels leading into the area as far as diesel. There is also a Chevron locally just up the road in Sierra Village located by Pie In The Sky Pizza. Not a bad pizza. Further up in Cold Springs the Valero has standard gas and is close to Mia's who probably supports the best sit down meals in the Pinecrest resort area.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:13 AM   #2

Re: NorCal Sierra 4x4 Meet

My current plans put me in that area about the same time. Perhaps I can meet up with you guys, even if to just say hey for a few.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:52 AM   #3

We are very interested...
Old 05-03-2014, 10:34 AM   #4
Site Team

I'm getting a very severe inferiority complex because I only have 2-wheel drive. I feel like the little brother who isn't allowed to play with his big brother's friends because I'm too small.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:02 AM   #5

[/quote]I'm getting a very severe inferiority complex because I only have 2-wheel drive. I feel like the little brother who isn't allowed to play with his big brother's friends because I'm too small.[/quote]

I was up there many years ago and don't recall it being challenging at all to get in. You may do fine. Others may have been there more recently and can chime in.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:20 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

Glad to see some added interest and hope to see you folks up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire
I'm getting a very severe inferiority complex because I only have 2-wheel drive. I feel like the little brother who isn't allowed to play with his big brother's friends because I'm too small.
U-Joint to the rescue?
The trail changes year to year but overall it's just a bumpy ride. Last year this was the worst spot.

Although a four wheel drive Ford Explorer had a difficult time trying to get up this section, after I got out and spotted for him he was able to get by it. The Explorer was so light the guy just sat there spinning his tires. With proper wheel placement he cruised right up. I wouldn't be surprised if your van could make it up there Mac. The year before a car could have made the lake so it just depends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrr
We are very interested...
Hope you can make it Jack. You were one of the first SMBers to give me advise on the purchase of my van and we've never met!
Attached Thumbnails
October 2013 Leavitt.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #7

Mac, remember, you are no stranger to being winched. So will probably be ok.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:39 PM   #8
Site Team

I don't think Mike is ever going to let me forget the ONE time I got stuck at Toroweep in the Grand Canyon. Perhaps I should mention that HE is the one that talked me out of converting my van to 4x4 and only getting a lift kit and locking differential instead.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire
I don't think Mike is ever going to let me forget the ONE time I got stuck at Toroweep in the Grand Canyon. Perhaps I should mention that HE is the one that talked me out of converting my van to 4x4 and only getting a lift kit and locking differential instead.
And, I still think you made the right choice and saved $$$$ that you can spend on your van.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:12 PM   #10

You've got me salivating! Leavitt Lake is on my Sierra bucket list. Unfortunately it looks like my SMB build won't be completed until early July. So count me in for the next trip.
tallt65 is offline   Reply With Quote